Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 13 August 2020

New starts

I have eight lovely beautiful grandsons, oldest Josh is 15 this month, and Dominic is just a few months old,  I have not knitted much for any of them, clothes is so cheap and yarn so expensive, plus as babies they grow far to quickly. So why the pattern, well I have a desire to knit in pink, not a colour I wear much, this is beautiful so......
 A yarn order has been made, and it's just arrived, lovely shades of pink, I am using Sirdar Snuggly, Crofter, I have used this very soft yarn on a jumper for myself. 
The other items are all Drops Merino, 4 ply, shades of pink and a pale heather, I have loads of colours in this range left over from other projects, I am hoping to get some hand dyed yarn from Burrow and Soar, but the colour I wanted sold out before I could get it. 
I also purchased the yarn to make this jumper, I do love knitting lace patterns, I also want to do a design using cables, I have seen a pattern for a jacket for George, George is a long baby and it will help if I make him some warm tops which fit him, a nice design. I have ordered this yarn from a new to me company, so as yet it has not arrived. 
I have finished this book, my 57th read of this year, I could not put it down, I have read other books by this author, and she always delivers, a gripping plot with a great ending. 

We have spent most of our time inside, this heat is just too much for me, I give the garden a good water every other day when it’s dry, normally about 7ish in the evening, it’s a job I love, I take time to look at everything and plan any changes. Nothing much to do outside, everywhere is looking good, plenty of flowers around the beds, loads of fruits being picked and frozen, made another mixed fruit crumble for tea, my nasties and succulents in the greenhouse are all looking good. 

Sunday, about 3pm we drove to daughters for a BBQ, her garden has a lovely shady area, we sat outside, Will played in their hot tub, using it as a deep pool, he does love water, George rolled around on a big baby mat, he is moving about loads. We had a lazy evening at home, for me it’s just too hot.

I have done very little, we both are spending time inside, reading and a tiny bit of knitting on my socks. We have also been staying home, we have had travellers in a couple of local sites around the village, they have just been moved from our wreck, they have been very aggressive, and stealing from local shops and garages, and causing loads of issues with residents. Lots of damage is left, our local football club which was the closest buildings had to be closed as the safety issues grew. Now they are struggling with the damage and the theft of sporting equipment, the village is coming together to donate money to fix and replace everything, the football club was open through recent months providing cheap cooked meals for those at home. I do believe everyone should be able to live their lives as they wish, but with respect for those who are around you, sadly not everyone has this view. 

We did walk to the market on Wednesday, I looked at the plants but resisted everything, my garden is full until the summer flowers fade, I have pansies and viola seeds in the greenhouse, hopefully I will have enough plants for my pots. I am also looking at spring bulbs, I threw loads of mine away earlier this year, they don't last forever. 

Last night we had our first rain in ages, no thunder storm, just beautiful rain, it's not so muggy this morning, the sun is back out and it's getting hotter again. 

8 comments:

  1. I never knit anything for Daniel and Eleanor when they were young, though they always had plenty of hand knits from other people who knit. I do like to see babies in lovely woollies. We haven't had any rain or storms here and the heat has been unbearable, though we haven't had it as bad as you have down south. Daniel's in Essex and he's just about at the end of his tether with it, he doesn't cope well with heat, haha. It's much cooler here today though, a nice change from what it's been like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knitted loads for both daughters when they were babies and I still have the patterns. I also made most of their clothes, I did lots more sewing in those days.

      Delete
  2. I'm near Weeley and once again the promise of rain didn't materialise. I love the dress pattern I know it will look beautiful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pink yarns are very pretty, Marlene. They'll make for lovely, happy knits. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to smile at your urge to knit pink, I had the same urge a couple of months ago and knit a small cardigan using yarn from my stash. I don't think I've shared it on my blog, i'll have t sort it out for another time.
    The weather here has been almost unbearable, we had a lightening storm but no rain on Tuesday night then last night we had loads of rain and it's rained a little today. So glad it's cooled down now. Travellers can be a nuisance, they don't seem to have any respect for anyone or anything. A few years ago they set up near to where my eldest daughter lives now and it took ages to get them moved on. There was talk of setting a permanent site for them to use which would have been away from housing and schools but I think there were objections to that, probably a good thing.
    I've already started to think about autumn planting too, I'm ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pink yarns are so pretty. Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got rain last night (heck we had thunder and lightening as well and according to the weather people we actually had 20K lightening strikes). It cooled things off a bit, but not enough to cool the house down much.

    I love your yarn choices and the patterns are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky Nan to have 8 grandsons! I have only one whom I see regularly (and 2 granddaughters) and love them all dearly. 🤗
    I love the Crofter yarn you have, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails