Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 21 May 2023

Garden post

 I have moved the patio furniture around to reflect how it would look, once my planned work is done, just to see if this layout works for us, you can just see the chalk line, which is the edging of the paving, the rest of the area will be lawn. I do love how clear this section will be, as normal, I can pop pots on the table to add colour, The black fence under the acer, is the same width as our garden and the patio will be, all very neat. 

We moved the wooden table and chairs to outside the garage, which is a sun trap, but I don't like them here, with the washing line and the side bed, it's all too much. Also if we BBQ, the gas unit goes into this space, not a good idea if the grandchildren are here. The side path from the garage down will disappear into lawn, again you can see the chalk line, our lawn will be much wider. 
This I like, using the herb area, I have moved the big herb pots to the left of the Olive tree in the huge pot, we don't use this side of the double gates. There is another huge pot of herbs, which I could not move on my own, once they are gone, it will all fit nicely. I do need to decide where to put my tall chimney pot. 
Here we get a nice view of the garden, with plenty of space to walk by, there is afternoon shade from the fence, but we can always move the table out if we want the sunshine or have more people here. The herbs will give us natural scents as we sit in the sun. The pergola will go, and all the levels will be the same, all helping as we get older, it is a big job, expensive, but worth it, hence the sorting now, to ensure it all flows. 
Already the smell from next door is not so nice, and the flies near the house are huge in numbers, it's no use trying our environmental health department at Fareham Borough Council, we worked with them for years, built a case, which they then dropped, so we are as always, on our own. I think it might be nice to have the garden closer to the patio doors, at the moment we look out onto decking and furniture, so seeing it clear would look better. 

We both agree if it goes ahead, we can remove the decking ourselves, and use it to build the raised beds, fill and plant them. We would need to pay someone to do the rest, but both the paving and fake grass is better done by someone who knows what they are doing. 

I really enjoyed my afternoon in the garden on Saturday, working not too hard, drawing the chalk lines helped hubby understand fully the design, and except one small detail, he was happy, he is concerned regarding the cost, it's not going to be cheap, the design of this garden was set by previous owners, I had added and worked it for 14 years. Hubby was away Saturday afternoon and home later today, so plenty of me time, I rested all evening and again had another early night. Daughter is looking much better, she just needs to keep an eye on her energy levels, Will is at Grandma's house, so she spent the afternoon is the garden with hubby, George and Molly. 

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about making levels all the same to nake things better as you grow older. Several friends, who were a little condescending when I made such planning for the future a priority when I retired, are now finding that they just can't face the inevitable upheaval of altering their own gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ideas for the garden. It will be exciting if you decide to go ahead with them. I'm sorry you have such a smell coming from next door and flies too. It must be very frustrating. I look forward to seeing the changes as and when they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your daughter is starting to feel a little better Marlene and wish her a speedy and full recovery. It is good to see how you are planning out the changes in your garden and seeing what works for you both. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails