Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 8 February 2018

Recycling

I have been sorting and recycling, but this time bringing things into our place, Win's nephew is almost ready to sell the house next door, he was going to rent it out, but changed his mind. He is doing a final sort, and offered me more items for the garden, there were loads of big plastic tubs, which I did not want, so we placed them at the end of his drive and they have all gone to new homes, also there were loads of seed tray, good quality ones, I took ten for my greenhouse, and the others went from the front of the house. I will now be able to grow more bedding plants this spring. I also have four half circle plant supports.
We have plants around the plot from Win's garden, most were being dug up from the front garden, when the parking space was made. At the moment there are bulbs showing through the gravel, Win's garden was always good at giving.
Two Azalea's were passed to Kev for our front garden, both were in pots, he renewed the ericaceous  compost, and both plants look good. We have another pot for bedding plants to go in the middle for summer.
One of the best things I chose was Win's garden trowel, it hangs in my shed along my mum's trowel, both ladies were very good gardner's, and I have learnt loads from watching both of them.
We also had a crown of rhubarb, there were several crowns at the bottom of the garden, we have planted ours in a huge pot.
They dug up the back garden last week, flattened it and have scattered lawn seed (which the birds are enjoying), the garden will never be the same, it was always well kept and full of roses and lovely bedding plants.
I will love to nurture Win's plants, I will smile when I start to sow seeds in the seed boxes, I hope to be able to eat rhubarb next year, but mostly every thing keeps alive a memory of a wonderful strong woman, I'm lucky I have had a few such women in my life.
I will always miss seeing Win in her greenhouse, sorting seeds into seedlings into healthy plants, now the greenhouse stands empty.

4 comments:

  1. How lovely to have some of Win's things that will continue to give you memories and pleasure for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post Marlene.
    It's so lovely to pass on things to other gardeners, I'm sure your neighbours were thrilled with their free items. How lovely you will have lots to remind you of your friend. I'm sure you will hear her whispering her advice into your ear as you wander the shed/garden/greenhouse in the coming months.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have lots of household tools and garden tools that belonged to my father and we always remark when using them ' thank goodness we have them, as they've lasted far longer then their modern equivalent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting here remembering those I have lost who have come to live with me through chosen momentos. Looking at the two trowels, I would probably put bows on them and hang them on the wall next to the patio doors so I could see them every time I go out.

    I know I smile so often when I pass by a "memory" I have placed in the house.

    Win will be thrilled with what you have chosen to keep.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails