Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 10 July 2016

Blowing the budget

Wilko have started reducing their early garden items
We popped to town this morning first time in weeks, just a couple things needed, I have got a couple of plastic cloche, these were half price and good for early starting of seeds next year, I can place them on my raised garden  in the greenhouse and get ahead, at £5 each they won't break the bank and they store small. The big plastic trays, without drainage holes were reduced from £4 to £1.50 so I got the last two, these will fit inside the cloches allowing space for loads of seed trays. .
We had a great time at the BBQ last night, the host had his whole family there, plus other people who help out with the mini bus driving, hubby does 2 or 3 shifts a week. I wore my body warmer for most of the time, later they lit a fire in a huge oil drum, which kept us warm, we had loads of sparklers and loads of twinkly lights around the fences. I love the way we can sit outside in the cool air and still enjoy each others company.
I was really pleased with the rain this morning, the gardens were drying out so the water was much needed, saves me having to water later. So nothing to do outside, just enjoy the view. I do have a bit of ironing to do later, but not until after the Gentleman's Tennis Final from Wimbledon, and of course we want Andy Murray to win. We won't watch the football final tonight, hubby only watched because Wales did so well.
For lunch I'm having cheese and cucumber sandwiches, home grown of course, I am picking fresh cucumbers 3 times a week and enjoying them, just need the tomato's to catch up.
Later we are going to make a green Thai curry for our main meal, tomorrow we have fishcakes, we got them on a yellow sticker this morning.
One question, if I want new potatoes for Christmas dinner, grown in our raised bed in the greenhouse, when should I plant them, I've never tried to grow out of season before.

9 comments:

  1. You got some good buys there! Glad you enjoyed your outing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wilkos gardening sales, they really do a proper sale, potatoes I would get started end of August for Christmas dinner, we are having Crayfish for dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never grown potatoes for Christmas only parsnip which stay in the ground once grown, however I've just looked on this site - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=593 - so it's round about end of July/August and select specially cold stored tubers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you feed "the girl" dry food or not. But I saw this a couple of year ago on growing potatoes in chicken feed bags.

    I adapted it to make planter from Cat and Dog food bags and they became the planters for my geraniums. I placed them on my porch steps . . , the green bags and red geraniums looked so good.

    Maybe this will help with your potato quandry . . . http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/05/tater-totes-feed-bag-potato-patch.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Wilkos! They've recently moved the one that used to be really near to my work which is a real pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great way to spend a week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall have to have a look in Wilko's at their gardening things, though there isn't really much I need, I'm always tempted if I see things reduced though. Glad you enjoyed the barbecue, you're lucky you had the weather for it with the amount of rain we're having just lately. I usually start potatoes for Christmas off at the end of August or beginning of September, it's always been hit and miss whether I get any though, some years I'm lucky, other's not so much, good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up on Wilko's sale, DH will be interested to know that as had his eye on a couple of things last time we were there and was waiting for sale to begin.
    We've just eaten out first crop of potatoes and will plant more early August for a Christmas crop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Wilko garden sale! I'll have to ask Dan to take me over for a nosey around, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails