I used a Westlands compost for my peanuts to grow in, it's obvious there were other seeds in the compost, these plants are very invasive, so I thought I would harvest one bag.
I was not expecting to find anything, I had done nothing other than water the bags, which sat in the greenhouse through the hot summer.
Not quite a sucess,
the nuts are small and just a few.
I hulled one, it did not have the dark skin.
Friday was a sunny dry blustery day, no rain, we woke up on Saturday to steady rain, it had rained overnight, I don't think it stopped all day, just what the ground and garden needed. We had more rain on Saturday than from mid June to this week, with plenty of wet days to come.
I knew it was too early to harvest as the peanut plant was still green, the nut inside did not have its brown skin, I have left them to dry out in the garage, as per the instructions I found on the net. The second bag I will leave for a couple more weeks, I have cutback all the unwanted growth of the invasive plant, not wanting the heads to go to seed. The spent compost is going in our waste bin, not on my garden, I don't want to spend next summer pulling out invasive plants.
I also put my cranberry plant in the greenhouse at the begging of summer, and for the first year I have loads of new growth, in the past couple of years it was just surviving, I am going to add to the compost and try harder next year.
I have always loved growing from seeds and pips, loving the challenge, I still have a pomegranate plant in a pot, I've never had flowers or fruit, I love the plant. I will sow peanuts again next year, I can't eat them, but I would like hubby to try them.
Are you experimenting with new seeds and plants?




The rain has been so welcome here hasn't it, and now my pond and all the water butts are full again. Gardening has been a bit mixed this year with some successes and a few more failures. Growing from seed is both fun and challenging at times but each year is a new start. Nothing new grown this year but I have in the past tried growing a loofah plant. Not great success but fun to be different.
ReplyDeleteI recognize that invasive plant -- I used to see it when I lived in Florida, whatever it is. Very weird that it showed up in your compost! I think it's pretty cool that you got any peanuts at all. Will you roast them now?
ReplyDelete