Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 11 August 2024

Finding balance outside

 I spent £8.80 on seeds, I have the same broads beans as last year, they worked well, another different type of runner beans and flower seeds, the asters and sweet-peas did better this year, and I do want zinnias in the garden. These again were half price with dates going into 2027, I should not need any more seeds for next season.

I dug out the big dogwood plant from the corner in my side bed, it was planted a few years ago, when I wanted a big plant in front of my water butt, my water butt is behind the garage in my working area. I moved my peony to the corner, it was huge so I have kept back some roots for daughter. I also moved another plant to the centre of the bed, in the gap from moving my peony. I am happy with this bed, I do like the plants not to grow too high, as I like to see my shelf.

I have trimmed my acers, this big one was getting really wide, I do not want it to spread any bigger than the bed it's in. It's still full at the bottom, much like a bush, so many colours on one plant. I also trimmed my trio of acers at the back end of the garden, I keep them small so I can use the steps to my working area.


The dogwood was collected and planted within the hour, one of hubby's mates had the perfect spot for it. I have watered the moved plants three times on the day and they are looking settled.  

Hubby used his leaf sucker to pick up all the bits blown on the lawn and brushed the patio, it's now looking tidy. I cut back my blueberries, it wasn't done last year, so it was quite big, I will purchase a couple new raspberry plants as a few did not grow this year. I have also pulled up my peas and courgette, which did not grow well in the bag. I have runner beans forming on the few plants I managed to save from slugs and snails.

Our focus is now on the wildlife pond area, my agapanthus has got huge again, so I will dig it out and make three plants, daughter will get two and I will plant my third elsewhere in the garden. I have another smaller dogwood here, which I will remove, this will give more light and space in that area, I want to put my huge bug house hubby has made infront of the raised bed. 

It's not all work, we are still very much enjoying the Olympics on TV, I watched weight lifting yesterday?, and enjoyed it, I won't watch boxing, that's a step too far for me. I have read loads of books which I will post soon and on Saturday daughter came over with her three, they played outside most of the day. Today I am popping to daughters house, a few of the mums are going out for afternoon tea together, I was very keen for daughter to go, so I will be in her garden with the children.

6 comments:

  1. It's so nice when the children can play outside. Fresh air and exercise and fun. It's hard to realise that the Olympics are almost at an end - they seem to have passed so quickly this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems there is always something to be done in the garden - which is great! It could become so boring otherwise.
    I hope your daughter enjoys her afternoon tea. It will be good for her to have a break (thank goodness for mums who can babysit!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's thank goodness for mum's who can run after toddlers.

      Delete
  3. My courgettes have given all that they are going to, only one left in the bucket, that had new leaves so i've left it for now. I will plant them in the allotment next year people seem to be having success with them in the ground there. It's good that you can have the children so your daughter can have a break, when you have small children it's relentless and you need some time out. I'm glad to read that her MIL is supporting her too, at least the children will have two sets of grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your acers. I never have any luck with them, they seem to die off. I'm glad your daughter got to go out with her fellow mum's for the afternoon without the kids. Every mum needs a break now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love a tour of your garden. So beautiful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails