Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 13 August 2024

Books

I'm not sure about this book, I did read it to the end, a few times I did almost discard it, what is it about, how you perceive people, how they control you so you bide their wishes. I won't look for anther book from this author, book 48 read this year.
I do love this author, the story is set locally in Southampton, it was a very good plot and full of twist and layers, sadly the ending again is what stops me from saying it's a great book, as with each book staring DI Helen Grace, the author gives her super strength to solve the crime, always something  unbelievable in the final few chapters. It won't stop me reading another book, book 49 read this year.
I almost did not take this book, what more could there be to Harold Fry's story, this is his wife's turn, a very small book just 126 pages, I'm glad I read it, it does add the final part of the tangled lives they had with Queenie Hennessy. Book 50 read this year. 
I adore this author, his plots almost always involve just average people caught up in all sorts of stuff, I have read most of his books, so to find an unread title was pleasure from the start. This plot twists from the start, there is a back story running through the plot, with a very clever ending. Book 51 read this year. 
Another book with DI Helen Grace, another great plot, the author is very realistic in how crimes are dealt with often taking a wrong turn, this one had them solve two other crimes as they were working on their main case. Sadly the author gave DI Grace super human strength again, she had two physical fights with men and still was able to run around, still I enjoyed the book. Book 52 read this year.

The Olympics have finished, our medal total was as expected, with a fewer gold medals, we chatted about how many our our athletes came 4th, still a fantastic result, but sadly no recognition, its huge for them to get to the finals. I have watched so many different sports and enjoyed them, it's the same every time, who can resist the sporting excellence from so many people from around the world. I still can't understand how Breaking (used to be know as breakdancing) is a sport, why do they need to change the names on things. 

It's very hot and sunny here, Sunday afternoon the little ones played inside, after their tea I popped them into the bath to play, they stayed there for 30 minutes, I had to pull the plug out to get them out, all clean and cool, they both went straight to sleep. I am struggling on my latest book, it's not catching my imagination, I will keep with it for a bit longer.

Monday was a day at home inside, it was a lazy day, doors and windows open, all with net coverings as the flies are now bad, the smell also coming from next door dissipates in the morning, so it's not too bad. Hubby had to climb on our extension roof as her virgina creeper was near the top and he was worried it would get under our roof felting, she never cuts anything back, it grows up some wooden post she has leant against our wall, our boundary is 6 inches away from our wall, the fence broke, she ripped it down and won't allow us into her garden to replace it, some battles are just not worth the effort.

10 comments:

  1. Water is so soothing for hot little bodies.
    It's a shame about your neighbour making life uncomfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Harold Fry book, I didn't know there was a sort of sequel (well, his wife's view), I'll have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. There are three books, all worth reading.

      Delete
  3. I just read gardening books and seed catalogues mostly ....lol ! Hope the fence thing gets sorted ....it's uncomfortable when issues like this arise . Thinking of you , try not to worry . Hugs Debbie 💐x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't try and replace the fence, it's not worth the hassle, she will kick off about anything we try and do.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely list of books. Must add a few to my growing list of books to read.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wondered that about Breaking as well. They might as well include ballroom dancing as a sport!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too enjoyed the Olympics immensely and am greatly inspired by the athletes and competitors and their dedication to their sport. It's good that you manage to adapt and enjoy your garden despite the difficulties with your next door neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t read any of those authors so thanks for the reviews. You are about 12 ahead if my on my yearly total. After binging on The Lincoln Highway I’ve slowed down despite the sunny days when I could sit out and read. Maybe the Olympics distracted me, I watched most events but not the boxing.
    www.mylifeinflipflops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails