Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 26 October 2023

Something different

 Christmas cakes are all baked, the spice smells have been wonderful, I do love baking these cakes. The smaller cake on the left, hubby and I are sharing, just a little treat, using the excess mixture from my smaller cake I bake for my brother, it's easier to make up the quantities on the recipe. Once cooled I always place the cakes upside down on the boards, I fill the gaps at the bottom with marzipan to smooth the sides. 

My Amaryllis bulbs are only growing leaves again, I rested the bulbs over the summer months and then potted them in new compost, they are a bit of a disappointment, I will leave them inside in hope a flower stalk might grow, I have 3 more bulbs to plant. In the other photo is my silk plants, the Orchid is real, the flower stalk is silk, the Poinsettia I have had for a few years, I can't grow them in these rooms, it's not bright enough to keep the leaves on the plant. 

In the front is my garden trowel, I have had it for many years and use it every time I'm outside, so I was truly disappointed when the handle snapped, hubby looked at handles, very few places sell them and saw this new trowel, it feel very sturdy, I have a selection of trowels, for different uses. I don't use or need many long handled garden tools, most of them are years old and belonged to my mum. I'm sure I will have years of pleasure using this new addition. 
This photo brings joy to my heart, Will loves to read, he is now reading as he calls them 'books with chapters', so hubby went to Mr Amazon and got a David Walliams book for him to read, The books are bigger with bigger letters, it does have sketches in, he asked to go to bed that evening, as he now likes to read to mummy or daddy at bedtime. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of Mr Walliams, our grandsons love his books.

Making the cakes have got me active again, I rolled six balls of yarn, using wool left over from knitting. I used my needle felting triple needle tool to blend the outer ball smooth and ensure it is round and secure. I think I will cover them in red, I have alot of that colour fibre, photo's soon, once they are finished. I've done a few sewing bits, added badges to neighbours son's blanket for scouts and renewed the elastic on hubby's kneeling pads, making them just like new. 

Sign group was fun on Tuesday, we did a session on families, we can get loads done in just one hour. Thursday there was another knit and natter in the afternoon at our local shop, again fun mixing with local ladies, I have started another pair of socks, just to have a project.

Thank you for your kind comments, my garden has always been good for me, I love the fruits I harvest each summer, and I'm excited to expand my production of veg, I am so lucky to have such a supportive husband, who does not run to the hills, when I suggest changes. I think he has enjoyed creating this space for me, he certainly got on with things. Spending so many weeks chatting together has ensured this new layout is working for us.

8 comments:

  1. Hello! Just passing.....Can l suggest that you get your
    Grandson the film..DVD..of Gansta Gran...It is amazing,
    and so funny, l obtained it, when it first came out....
    Get it for him...He'll love it...and so will you...! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pity your amaryllis bulbs aren't looking like they'll flower this year, after you saved them. Still, it's a nice bit of greenery. The cakes look lovely, bet they made your place smell gorgeous whilst they were cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how many trowels one has, funny how we always reach for a particular one!
    Good luck with the amaryllis. Those cakes are just beautiful. I can smell the spices from here!
    Always have a pair of socks on the needles, some mindless knitting, so one can chat while at Craft Circle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see that your creative juices are flowing again.
    It's nice that Will enjoys reading - so many boys don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that the bulbs are just producing stalks. There is time though for flowers to appear. How wonderful Will enjoys reading. I always say a good book is a friend and one is never alone when reading.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas cakes look amazing. I do love a piece of Xmas cake. I love getting new tools for the garden too, but it is sad when the life of an old favourite comes to an end. I'm glad you're feeling inspired to do some more crafting. You can't have too many pairs of socks in my opinion, not handmade ones anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We too have a grandson who enjoys David Walliams books ...

    Enjoy your weekend, although here in the UK the weather doesn't look good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Christmas cakes look great and I'm sure will taste delicious.
    David Walliams' books are very popular but my children were all grown up by the time they started to appear. I hope your grandchildren enjoy them. Glad the crafting mojo is on the move again:-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails