Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 13 October 2023

Back home

 I got more seeds, the herbs were half price, the others were just ones I will use in the spring. I will need a few more packs, I am hoping I can collect my own seeds going forward to save some money.

I also got 3 plants, 2 for my Butlers sink and a cranberry plant, I had been looking online for a while, I found this one at a perfect nursery, just outside Martock, Somerset. I could have picked up so many healthy plants but resisted, it's probably a good thing this nursery is 100 miles from home, I loved it there. I have planted the two smaller plants  I need ericaceous compost for the cranberry. 

 

My sister and I went to Yandles at Martock, it's a huge craft centre, hubby had asked me to look out for anything I would like for my birthday,  I did like this wooden handled stitch picker, he has packed it away. I fancy a go at lino printing, the small kit was a great price, the cat fabric caught my eye, just half a metre,  probably make a new bag. Again loads to look at, but nothing much I wanted, we did have a lovely cake and coffee break.

The garden was fine when we returned home, I was worried as the sunny days might dry out the transplanted shrubs, all the flowers section is still looking good. In my veg bed, the Christmas potatoes are shooting, not yet ready for earthing up, looking healthy, what I was not expecting was shoots on my broad beans, I've checked the packet, the beans were sown at the right time, I don't know if they grow all through the winter months, I will have to consult Mr Google. 

We enjoyed our stay with my sister and her partner, having a day out together on Monday was fun, we do love the same places, all my purchases have been added to my stash spend, we had a walk along Burnham-on-sea front, seeing a nice sunset over the Bristol channel, with a fish and chip supper. Catching up with my brother, and seeing his newly decorated house, he's on the final bedroom, with carpets arriving soon. 

I can't think of anymore I would need for the garden, I did get a nice frame for the begonia's in my blue pot to grow up, ready for use next summer. Everywhere there were Christmas decorations, my sister wanted to look at everything, I was not interested, I looked, saw nothing I wanted, Christmas is pushed back this year the garden is centre stage for the next month.

We spent one night in Cullompton, Devon, BIL's 25th wedding anniversary, we were given no details, even when we arrived at our hotel, we knew nothing. It lasted just a few hours so we had an evening to ourselves. Had we been given more information, we would have driven back to my sisters house, and saved on a hotel bill. It was a lovely get together, so many happy faces. Hubby and I found a nice garden centre for lunch, hence the extra items purchased, he got himself some new secateurs and a small saw for cutting branches. 

We got home Wednesday early afternoon, no problems on the drive back, we always travel via A303, A34, M3, M27, rested for a while, popped to Lidl which is just a short drive away and a lazy evening together. It did try to rain and felt cold, but as always it's great to be back at home. Grace sat on my lap all evening, Purdy was close to hubby, they were glad we are home. It rained heavy overnight giving the garden a good drink. 

I've been using my phone whilst away, which makes it difficult to comment, I have read your post, and enjoyed your updates, I am glad to be back using my desktop computer. 

8 comments:

  1. Over wintered broad beans will be OK as long as there is no early frost while they are just shoots.
    You should get beans a bit earlier than spring sown beans, although where we lived near the east coast the cold east winds always slowed them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your help, I've not grown broad beans before.

      Delete
  2. It's good to have a break and always lovely to get home again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cullompton is where we used to live before our move to Wales snd has changed a lot since we first moved there, with more traffic and a lot of the original independant shops have now gone. We still live in the area, but only go back for dental appointments. Was the garden centre Otter Nurseries? I buy most of my craft stuff from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came off at J27 from M5 and went back to The Old Well garden centre, had a great lunch, lovely plants there, great selection.

      Delete
  4. Always nice to go away and spend time with family ... but there is no place like home :)

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovey time away. You always find the neatest crafts to try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did lino cutting at school and loved it, which was a long time ago, but thought it would be fun to do again and not cost too much.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails