Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday, 18 September 2026

Parcels arriving

In theory I should not need anymore more spring bulbs, the packs on the left I purchased a few weeks ago, on the right are more recent. I was looking for paperwhite daffodils, these are similar, I intend to plant in hope they flower inside around Christmas  time.


My big order from Farmer Gracy has arrived, it's too early to plant them, most will go into pots by early November, the tulips late November, if everything grows I should have a brilliant display in the spring.


These are bulbs which I popped into pots, they bloomed well in the spring, I hope they all come back next year.


This also arrived, I know it's September, but it was on sale almost half price, and those who follow me know I love a bargain. Our old tree is 12 years old and the branches are wobbly. This one is just 5 foot tall, we have purchased a small table for it to stand on. Photo taken from website.




I have been supporting daughter after the disappearance of Noah Woods and his death, George is at runner and can run fast, many times we have chased him, these days I can't take George out on my own, he can be faster than me. The horrendous comments towards the family by ill informed people, daughter has been upset, the parents are going through enough with out negative comments. Through the years nasty people have made unwanted comments regarding our George on daughters social media, her friends and others family with disabled children have supported her every time, we can only hope Noahs family are getting the support they will need.

Friday we took to express bus into Portsmouth, down to the waters edge at Gunwharf Quays, its a outlet shopping area, with plenty of places to eat. We were looking for a good cutlery set, we found a couple designs we liked, sadly the store only had sets of 4 items, knife, fork, desert and tea spoon, we require smaller knives and forks as well. We popped in a few shops, I need to replace my everyday coat, I saw nothing I liked. Most of the shops are brands we do not support, many very overpriced, sadly M&S outlet was closed for a refurb. We did not stop for lunch catching an earlier bus home, we spent nothing, even the bus journey was free.

16 comments:

  1. You should get a fantastic display with all those bulbs. I look forward to seeing it. The Xmas tree is lovely. Good to get it for almost half the normal price. We only have a small tree now that we stand on a table. Makes life so much easier. I got rid of our old big tree last year. I gave it to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read or heard that Noah had been with a relative, I wondered if they were a grandparent and I felt awful for them. The guilt they will live with for the rest of their lives despite the situation being out of their control, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same, heart-breaking, they can be so quick to run.

      Delete
  3. You will definitely have a lovely display if all your flowers bloom.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new tree looks lovely. I bought my latest one in a January sale a few years back. And I had a giggle putting it together, just to take it all down again, at that time of year. But I wanted to make sure all the pieces were present and correct, before putting it away for 11 months :)
    I hope your daughter is okay. Such a terrible tragedy. Sending love to you both. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much sadness in the air, so many families will feel it could have been their child.

      Delete
  5. The Christmas tree looks really good, plenty of branches to decorate.
    The tragedy of the little boy in Suffolk is so sad, I didn't read any comments or online stuff etc because I knew they would be so nasty. I don't understand people who jump in without knowing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter has had so many comments regarding George, it is nasty, she has had many tears over the comments.

      Delete
  6. Bulbs are so exciting - all that promise of colour to come. Social media can be a good thing but so much is negative now - so much nastiness. We need to keep focusing on the happy things in our own lives.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love blogging, the people here are kind, understanding and very supportive.

      Delete
  7. I haven't bought any Spring bulbs as yet, I'm not sure I will, the tulips never seem to last long or get blown about and broken in the wind. I do have daffs that I kept from last year and will plant those soon. I've been reading some of the comments on fb about Noah, such a terrible terrible thing to happen. I do feel for his grandad. it's not easy keeping up with children at the best of times but it is harder when you get older. I've always used reigns on my grandchildren when I've taken them out, especially if we have been shopping, but in a playground that wouldn't be possible. So sorry your daughter has been subjected to hateful comments, people can say stupid things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new tree looks great, you'll enjoy decorating it nearer Christmas.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely bulbs. Should have some lovely flowers next spring.
    Really sad news about Noah Woods. I was hoping he would be found somewhere, scared but hiding somewhere quiet. Children can be so quick, you really have to watch them and be ready to run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is truly amazing how many nasty, ignorant, small-minded people there are out there and not always the ones you expect. After a comment along the lines of "You should put him in a home" about my own son from a 'friend' I had a sudden moment of clarity. He could have been the son of any of those idiots but he is ours. He was born to patient, kind and loving parents, which many 'normal' kids aren't. I am lucky to have him. Your daughter is lucky to have George and those horrible enough to make nasty comments about a child will never ever realise what real selfless love is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, it's how we feel, having a disable child in the family changes everyone, we would never want George to be anything but himself.

      Delete
  11. My friend and I visited Gunwharf Quays two years ago when we were staying near the Royal Dockyard for a week. There were some lovely shops there. If you are having trouble finding cutlery, there are some good websites you can order from. My favourite is the German firm WMF....... https://www.wmf.com/de/en/products/cutlery/cutlery-sets.html?price=10-129

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails