Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 19 June 2016

Moonlit walk

Last year I posted both my daughters did a moonlit walk for a local hospice.
I did not join them, I felt 6 miles was too much for me at the time
But I made a promise to youngest daughter
 Last night at 10pm we joined 1000 other people to walk for this years sponsored event.
 Each year they have a different colour T shirt. 
After just over two hours we made it back, and was given our medal
My 1st medal for walking
We were home and in bed by 2.30am, we sat up for about 30 mins, drinking tea and relaxing. On the walk a lady called Margaret tagged along, she was walking on her own. It was interesting to see all the costumes, hubby wore a dress  just because he could and he found one in the charities shop which fitted him, he was not the only man in a dress.
In our world the media is great at showing all the horrors happening, but last night it was simply people power taking time to support a well loved, well run hospice, Rowans Hospice, which survives on charity. Between the three of us we raised enough money to hold our heads up, not huge amounts. Everyone together pledged almost £70,000, which is huge.  I was proud to be part of this event, and will be back next year for the 10th walk, but I'm not promising to do 12 miles.

It's wonderful to know events happen most weekend where everyone comes together for a wonderful charity, puts the smile back on my face. 

Today is Father's day in UK, if the weather is fine later we will pop out with our cameras, but mostly it's a lazy relaxing day. 

7 comments:

  1. That's a great achievement, well done. I love the camaraderie when everyone joins together to support a charity in this way, there's always a lot of fun to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations that is a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, my daughter did the walk the other year and had a great time, now put your medal on display :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great achievement for a worthy cause, well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, it's a wonderful thing to take part in x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. 6 miles is quite a way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such an awesome idea.

    I am going to share it with my niece and nephew in Indiana. They are both pretty active in volunteer work and this would be something brand new for the area.

    I'll be the husband looked cute in hs dress L)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails