Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 19 April 2024

Bags, buckets and pots

 I like to use different things in our garden, this container was purchased for a flower pot, but it works better as a water bowl, the birds love to land on the pebbles for a drink, I have other places they use for bathing.

This is another lovely spot, I'm using a square washing up bowl for my water plant, the old sink is my grass bed and the birdbath is now an alpine garden, with a couple metal chickens, it's a lovely view. The triple acers behind and the red and white flowers of the azalea make it colourful.
Hosta's when in the ground are decimated by slugs and snails, these live happily in the bucket and an old brass coal bucket, I have the extra copper ring around the plant, whilst these are in leaf they need to be away from walls as snails do try every trick to get to them.
In the greenhouse I have two buckets with carrots growing, they will be popped outside soon, two compost bags full ready for tomatoes, I know one has a cucumber pot resting on top for now, To the left is a BBQ bucket, re-purposed for my Aloe Vera, and on the right two huge plant saucers for my sphagnum moss.  
This year I am trying harder with veg, my new raised beds are great, but as always I want to grow more, so here on the path by the greenhouse and tucked behind the raised bed is a compost bag with some sweetpeas, the grey tub has a mock orange in, both of these should fill this back corner with colour. Two bags with second early potatoes and a big pot with some peas in, which is on an old water-but stand. 
The green square bowl has a cranberry plant in it, I got it last year, not sure what I am doing, along with trying to grow peanuts (Monkey nuts), I do like to try new things. 

The weather for most of the week has been dry, just one wet day on Monday, we have seen sunshine, but a rather cold northern wind has kept me inside, alongside another horrible dry cough, so another boring post. 

I've always used different containers for growing in and decoration around the flower section of the garden, now I have my veg section my containers don't need to be pretty, just practical, I am filling any space I have, luckily hubby does not come up around the greenhouse much, he hates having to step over pots and other things. I need to leave space for my tomato plants, I have grown them before in the greenhouse, they do get far to big for the space. 

Most can be tucked away in the cooler months and give me back my space for other items, it's the best of both worlds, allowing me more growing room whilst I need it. 

12 comments:

  1. I also have a Belfast Sink in my veg plot. I will show you it on my blog tomorrow. I still think you should get half an allotment to rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love one, hubby not so, sadly the waiting list here is huge and so few allotments. I just enjoy filling my space.

      Delete
  2. I've also got lots of things in pots and containers, mainly on our decking, but I do need to streamline things a little so we can replace the decking. I love the pebble water bowl idea. So beautiful and I can imagine them loving it, especially in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once we start going to boot sales, I'm going to look out for pots and things that can be used as pots. I aim to spend as little as possible on things for the garden, it's cost us so much in compost so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compost has got expensive and you can't go for a cheaper pack as the quality is so poor.

      Delete
  4. You have such wonderful ideas for using the various containers in your garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will use anything, I do like it if the container can store well in the winter, I have such small storage space.

      Delete
  5. Yes, slugs and snails do like Hosta's!
    Yours will be fine in the bucket and the old brass coal bucket.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy you a week of dry weather there has been hardly a day here when it hasn't rained at some point if not all day. I love all those different pots - I am trying to grow very little in pots this year as when we go away we seem to hit a hot spell and although my neighbour is good and will come and water my plants I have so many pots dotted around some always get missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't go away in the hot summer months, when the children are on holiday, so I don't need to worry.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing all your pots, particularly the water metal container.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that cough disappears quickly. It is such a pain and so many people seem to have it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails