Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 1 September 2023

September already

Tuesday we popped into town, there are fewer shops, so we stayed only a few hours, we did pop into Wilko's the store was half empty, sales everywhere, I purchased these 2 bean frames, they were a good savings, I will need them next summer for my small veg beds, I will be growing runner beans. 
Yet again another good book, over half the book was about the murder of one woman, which made the title strange, village life and gossip, worry and fears, having grew up in a small village, I could relate to the background story. Can you get away with murder, I though I had guessed the ending, but no totally wrong, it did leave you with a cliff hanger. Book 25 read this year. 
 Where do I start, its late 2023, covid is under control,  life is getting back to normal,  much like now, then 6DT hits, starts in USA and runs around the world. 6DT, 6 days tops, from 1st symptoms to death, no one is immune, no time to find solutions. Yet one woman is still alive, sounds horrible, but it's about the woman, a brilliant honest book. It rained all day here on Thursday, so a perfect read, 351 pages long, this author does not write a short book. This is her first book, I read her second here, and immediately ordered this book, 2nd hand from Amazon, get either or both if you can, book 26 read this year.
I rather like this meme,
 I do fall into the latter half of the statement.

Mondays BBQ was very different from Friday's, after a while I left the guys outside, I can always find something to do inside, it stayed dry again, not so bright, but no rain, so I class it a success. 

Tuesday we caught the bus to town, it was very sad to see Wilko's so empty, a few isles were closed off, just no stock to fill them, most of the Christmas stock was gone, not that I would have purchased any. I would normally be getting spring bulbs, they didn't have any on sale. We popped to a few other shops for a browse, had some lunch and then caught the bus back home, another dry day, a bit cooler in the evening, it is getting dark much earlier each evening. 

Wednesday was a day at home, my brother decided to drive back to his home in Somerset, the weather was not going to be great on Thursday, his planned day of departing, so he left before all the storms arrived. I did loads of housework, just nice to get everywhere back clean and tidy. We got a load of laundry dry, it was sunny but not too warm. Molly and mummy popped in for a visit, they had been swimming, mummy wants to ensure she is happy in the water before lessons,  George was at nursery,  Will was with Grandma and Grandpa.

Thursday was a day at home, it was unexpectedly dry when we woke the heavy rain came later and lasted all day, I had time to read and do a bit more needle felting, hubby was bored, he does like to read, but not all day. 

Today nothing much planned, a walk to the village,  it's going to be a busy family few days over the weekend, I am watching the weather for Monday, we have an exciting day out and the weather gods are looking kind to us. 

7 comments:

  1. Wilko is going under - so many jobs lost. People must be in despair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lost so many wonderful big names, Woolworths, BHS, and probably Wilko's, only to be replaced with huge cheap stores. When will we learn, cheap is not the answer. I will miss Wilko if it folds, I shop there everytime I'm in town.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendations, they both sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a real pity about Wilko. I feel for all their employees who may be looking for a new job soon. I hope some sort of rescue can be arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame Wilko has gone I suspect with shops like B&M, Home Bargains and The Range there was just too much competition for them to survive. I will miss them though, I always used to pop in when I went to town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame about Wilko, I feel sorry for their employees who will/may need to look for a new job.

    Hope you are having a good weekend, at least the weather seems to be getting better and warmer.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to buy a lot from Wilko so will miss it when it disappears. The weather has been hot then cold, then humid and so changeable day to day. Fingers crossed for good weather on your day out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails