Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 25 September 2023

Today, I'm......

My alarm is always set in summer at 7am, Monday to Friday, through the winter it's later at 8am, if I'm woken by the alarm it's a weekday, we both eat breakfast at our desk in our office, looking at our computers, the same way as I started most of my working days, it's a habit we have not broken, I love catching up with blogs. We can spend as much time here as we want, some days when we have things to do, it's a quick stop. 

Mornings are for getting jobs done, house work, laundry, maybe walk to the shops in our village, or the best, work out in the garden, if the sun is shinning I am always outside, our little patch of green is everything to me. This lovely seating area is our favourite coffee spot, this view has already changed so much, moving the table has made our garden feel much bigger.

Afternoons are our time, we do go out but not to often, hubby reads, I also love to read or craft, if I have anything bigger to do, it's done in afternoons. My love of creating things keeps me busy, I don't mind rainy days, I can always find things to do, my sewing machine comes out in the afternoons, other time we have the younger grand children, very different time for us, but just as enjoyable.

Evenings are again the same, we both like to watch news at 6pm, we have already had our evening meal, most nights we will turn off TV, read and listen to music, we do have favourite programmes we like to watch, which we tune in or watch on catch up, it's rare for our TV to be on all evening. It is really rare for us to go out, I do have my Pilates class on Thursday at 6pm. 

Like so many my days are set, routine has been in the whole of my life, growing up in a large family, we all had to fit together, my mum was very good at 'everything in it's time and place', our home and us were always neat, clean and tidy. Even now years later I hear my mum's voice, she still guides me, in my case I did grow into my mum, and I see my daughter becoming a bit of me and I love it. 

I often read bloggers, who say 'I've not done much, I've not much to tell you', I often feel the same, but as I read blogs, it's not about the photo's (yes in my mind they do help), it's about your words, who you are, what you are thinking. Getting through a day at home, can be hard work, we all get the feeling of 'why did I come into this room' or as I make a cup of coffee, I see something to put away, which I do, which leads me to another task, and then twenty minutes later I notice my cold cup of coffee. Even doing nothing can take all day, now I'm retired I have the most precious things, time, and freedom of how I will use it. Weekends are different, no alarm, we never go out much, staying away from crowds of families having their leisure time. 

So if you think your life is boring, nope, we love to read you are doing OK, or if not we can support you, sat here at my computer every morning, I love to see names pop up and catch up with you all. So today slightly different, I'm home alone, plan to get outside if the weather stays nice, later reading and resting, hubby should be home mid afternoon, then another lazy evening together. 

What are you doing today? 

9 comments:

  1. I am going to go around the house and find all the chipped bits of door surround and skirting board that need touching up with a bit of paint to smarten things up while the light is good enough to see what needs doing. I would sooner be outdoors, but it needs doing and who knows how many more sunny days we will get this Autumn? I like reading about people going about their ordinary days too. It is very comforting and makes me feel part of a community of like-minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is ordinary for one person can be most interesting to another. I enjoy reading about other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekly shop day for me. I too like a routine, but I also like freedom within it to do the things I love. You sound like you've got a great balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hear about your grandchildren, they are such a blessing. And, yes, I also love to read what everyone has been up to. Even though we all lead very different lives, I find the blogging community is so supportive and encouraging.
    What am I doing today? Working. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel better when in a routine, I think that's why it took me so long to adjust after I was made redundant, now I've got a different routine and I'm ok with that now. I have to get going as soon as I get up, I don't eat breakfast so I start my jobs right away and stop for coffee and something to eat at lunch time. Made me laugh about going into a room and forgetting what you went in for, I do that several times a day, ha ha. And yes, one job always leads to another. Hope you managed to get out in the garden, It's been lovely here and I've been out there tidying things up. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is nearly over for me and this is my first opportunity to look at any blogs today as we have just arrived at the cottage in Scotland for a week or two of relaxation after the last few chaotic months. Treasure your time and freedom, I have certainly missed ours this year. Your garden is looking so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been such a lovely sunny day today, so although we went food shopping we also took time to enjoy a short stroll, very enjoyable.

    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that people of similar age, values etc have similar homes,tastes and lifestyles (and probably have for all our lives) and yet I live n southern Australia, about as far away physically that's possible.Cooking, crafts, gardening my small garden, very similar to yours,babysitting, family and a few precious friends fill our days.My love of routine and rituals keeps it all together, especially as I get older and run out of steam and seem to get stressed more easily. The weather is turning here with the days becoming warmer, although the nights are still cool. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today I ventured out this morning to get some shopping done. Not quite done so will sneak out early tomorrow, perhaps walking to get the last few things done. The rest of the day I have tidied the house, and knit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails