Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 10 May 2020

Back outside

Hubby cleared the decking and oiled it all, it does look good, it was a full days work, it's the sort of job you are pleased with once it's finished. I can't think of anything else he has to do outside, but I'm sure he will find more to do.
 We had to move this very heavy alpine dish from the round table, I had a thought, we popped it on the birdbath stand in the herb garden. I love it, I had been looking for a place to put this as I wanted to be able to use the round table, this was almost as big as the table, as seen here. The water never stayed in the birdbath, most of the birds use another bath in the garden. 
   I have started work in the greenhouse on my raised bed, I can sit here for a short time and start to sort, the small stones are in a bag, the bigger pebbles I will put elsewhere, I have started potting up some of the plants. I will work in here every other day and rest my back in-between.  We have both decided not to reuse this frame in the greenhouse, hubby will take it apart and store the planks, we are on the hunt for some shelving.
 I have a few softwood cuttings, Lavender, Salvia hotlips and Clematis and 4 pineapple babies, these have been here for a while and hopefully they will start to root and grow.  Most are for our garden, I have done more than I require in hope I get what I need, sister and neighbour will have the rest. 
Our fence panels have finally been replaced, not the easiest of task as the guys were not allowed into next doors property, but they managed the whole job without her shouting at them. She saved that treat for much later, apparently everything is wrong about the fence, stupid woman.  
Friday we were outside a few times, at 11am for 2 minutes silence, 2pm for afternoon tea, we all decided we wanted to have tea earlier than the suggested 4pm, all our lovely neighbours were out. we also went out at 9.30pm to see the lights from Portsmouth dockyard, they were promised to light up the sky, but it was not dark enough, so all we could see was a glow from the direction of the dockyard.
Saturday we were inside all morning and until mid afternoon, social distancing from the fence guys, after they left we popped the big items back along the boundary, no mess to clear up as they left the place really tidy. They even managed not to damage my raspberries along by the tree, I have loads of summer fruit berries forming. In the evening we had pizza, red wine and watched The Darkest Hour, a film we enjoyed.
Sunday is was much duller and cooler in the morning, we got another huge box of photo's out, it is such fun to have all the memories in one place, most of our photo's are from 1980's and before, since then we have not had many photo's printed, I store all my digital photo's on a huge external drive, these include tons of videos of grandsons from various phones.

9 comments:

  1. You'll be glad that your hubby got the decking done, it's good to get the big jobs out of the way early on in the year. The weather's changed here, it's much cooler, dull and windy today and it's set to continue this way all week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alpine bowl looks like it was made especially for the stand, its super.
    What a great job the fencers did. So good to hear workmen hwo take a pride and looked after your plants etc whilst carrying out their work. It looks lovely.
    Well done hubby on the deck job, it looks great.
    Have a lovely week, inside jobs for the first part I think looking at the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled at what you had done with your alpines. One of my grandmothers had a very shallow birdbath that was hopeless for birds and so she kept succulents planted in it. It always looked pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The decking looks nice. A job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you clean the decking. Thinking of decking an area but don't like it when it goes dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby purchased a deck brush(used on boats, small head like a scrubbing brush) hot soapy water and elbow grease, but it's only been laid for 1 year, then decking oil, no colour but it does bring out some colour in the decking planks.

      Delete
  6. Your new fence and the decking look lovely. Hubby and the fence builders did a good job. Some people just love to be difficult, which I suspect is the case with your neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done … the decking looks great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. The deck looks wonderful. We are having much colder days here as well. Not fit to be outside for very long at all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails