Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 8 February 2020

Garden post

I love these Nerine pink bulbs, I got some last year and they bloom beautiful, plus another Peony, £8 for 3 packs, cost added to my list. The Peony is for my back corner garden, the Nerine's are for the raised bed infront of the greenhouse. . 
The garden is looking good, it's not the best time for colour, but I do have plenty of interest, we both love this big olive tree.
 I have loads of buds on my fruit  bushes, all grown in large tubs. In the spring I have loads of pots here with bulbs, this area is very near our patio doors, so is lovely to look at from inside. I will feed these fruit pots next month and top up with bark. 
 Problems in the herb garden, 2 of my sunken pots only have herbs which grow in the summer, this year our very naughty squirrels have been digging, these cheap hanging baskets are working to keep them away, I will cut them down so they become a permanent feature. I think I may need to replace my sage plant, I will wait a while to see if there is new growth. 
 Raspberry beds, loads of buds on the canes, I removed the strawberries from the tubs infront and now I keep flowers in them, the primroses look beautiful. The box plant has been moved for hubby to use in his front garden. 
 Further back more pots of colour, there are tulip buds inside the leaves, all far too early. I have popped my Bonsai Acer in it's tiny pot under the big Acer.
 At the very back, my grass loves this spot, hiding the entrance to a hedgehog sleeping spot, with another pot behind with spring bulbs in, the wire is to keep the cats from the pot. 
 Outside the greenhouse door, the tower of pots not looking so great, but the plants do all come back, I cut back this ivy often, growing it in a pot, keeps it where I want it. 
 On my bistro table, I have had this alpine pot for years, I do need to pop a couple different plants in, to add a bit more interest, I do keep it covered in the winter wet months. 
The raised bed by our back door, hubby made this last spring, the plants look a bit ragged, but they are surviving the cooler weather, if we get a snow fore caste I will cover this bed, can you see all the spring bulbs popping up, they were a birthday gift a couple years ago. Last year they were in pots, I popped them all in here, promise of loads of colour, this is a shady spot so they will flower a bit later than the rest.
This time of year is so full of promise, lots of buds, most of them too early, here in south east of England our snowy weather is almost always in late February and March, so even if the garden is saying spring is close, I know it could change at any time. We did not get much snow last year, and can have a winter without snow, we just have to wait and see.
I spent a couple hours in the garden on Friday morning, I planted my recent purchases and some sweet peas a Christmas gift, we sorted a box plant from a pot in the back garden to a pot in the front (hubbies) garden. I moved the pot with Yew plants in, I want to shape them as they grow, just for fun, nothing to demanding.
I am looking for a big oblong pot to match the round pot used for our Olive, I want to plant lemon grass and lemon balm and place it next to the fence on our patio by our table, hoping it will help in the summer with the smell and flies from next door, if not we will have to change the seating area, which would be a shame as it's placed to give us loads of usable space. I get my lemon grass from the supermarket, pop it in water and plant once the roots show.
Nothing beats time in the garden, I had dirty finger nails but the biggest smile, roll on summer, I sat for ages watching our little robin checking out my work.

9 comments:

  1. Hope my Olive tree looks like yours one day - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely time of year to see all the new beginnings. I enjoyed a tour of your garden and I spied some cyclamen flowering too, You also have a dark purple leaf plant, rather like a grass, I saw those in a magazine and though how pretty they looked. Having narrow leaves I thought it might survive here. Lets hope you have a kind Spring xcx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with the Nerine bulbs. I put some in a couple of years ago but I think the bl**dy mice have eaten them - dratted rodents have probably destroyed half the bulbs I’ve planted over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so enjoyed this wandering around your garden. So many little interesting spots to explore and exclaim at, especially with spring knocking on the door. Thank-you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see your photographs, I enjoyed my visit to your garden :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in my garden too. I am hoping this year I can get it sorted......... I had pulled a load of Welsh Leek. It grows wild in my garden. I am determined to get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your garden is faring okay in the storm. There's a pane out of my greenhouse, it's polycarbonate so it gets lifted off and blown away easily but Mick managed to catch it before it went missing. We've had such a mild winter that everything has come on leaps and bounds, but there's snow in our forecast next week and early buds won't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of lovely things starting to grow in your lovely garden. I do like nerines, they remind me of my late aunt, she had them in the front garden as you approached the front door, such a stunning show each year.
    I hope all is well in your garden with the storm, we've escaped damage (so far) not so the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing olive tree! A grand-daddy of a tree. Mine is a wee babe, in comparison. Native animals, sure do like to test our growing areas, don't they? Cheeky squirrels out for an easy meal. I guess I can't blame them. But not on, lol. Your garden areas are looking lovely, and it's great to find yourself covered in dirt, as I discovered recently too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails