Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 28 February 2020

February catch up


Back to normal spending, most on yarn and glass for my fusion, I had loads of bits but ran out of the circular clear glass I use for the base of my project. Garden was good, but I have seen a pot I want to purchase in March. I spent again less than  Feburary 2019 or 2018, which is pleasing.

Again nothing on clothes, hubby did get me a couple of books, and no cut flowers, my fake tulips purchased last month are keeping colour in the room.

No food waste, we have worked out our portion sizes, and ensure we keep tabs of everything in the fridge to ensure nothing goes off. We now have mainly frozen veg with meals, and use a stew pack for base for homemade soups. We have lost some focus with the plastic, mainly on fruit and veg, but it's top of our list in March. With the closure of our local Co-op where we purchased all our fruit and veg, we are having to changing how we shop.

I am having half price haircuts, my hairdresser is not going back to the saloon after her maternal leave and will pop to my house whenever I need a trim, I have my hair done once a month so savings of £180 per year, £15 each visit, I did think I was saving £10, but the prices in the saloon has gone up by £5.

Its an expensive car month, tax, insurance and MOT, tax is always £30 for the year, insurance went up by £28, but we upgraded our breakdown cover, we plan longer journeys on our short breaks, going to Newcastle in a couple of months. It passed the MOT, the tyres and brakes did not need changing, we only had to replace the wipers on the front.

We are both saving a £1 each on Monday mornings if we have one, this will replace the cashback we were getting each December from our local Co-op. If we save through the year, we could have up to £100.

A pleasing month, the house is warm and dry, the new boiler has made a huge difference, the radiators heat up quicker, and are off more as the house stays warm. The boiler and the new windows last year were very expensive, but to have a warm draft free house is great as we get older.


5 comments:

  1. It makes sense to upgrade your breakdown cover, as you’re planning on doing longer trips in the future. Well done on spending less on crafty/garden stuff than the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of saving a pound each week, just a small amount which we don't miss can add up to a good amount to spend at Christmas. Cars are such an expense, aren't they? I got rid of my car as I just couldn't justify the expense for the amount I used it, and Mick has a car from work. He gets taxed on it but we don't notice that as it's taken off before he gets his wage, but his employer pays the tax, insurance and for any repairs, so it's a huge saving for us. Mind you, he does drive a lot of miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing to have your house so warm and cozy now. Using frozen veggies is a great idea for not having waste, and your hairdressing savings are amazing. Cars are expensive but they do give independence. I would miss mine if I had to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've swapped to frozen veggies more to save on waste when unforseen things happen and different meals than planned are eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really been working on the food waste here as well. Seems to be going not too badly.

    Glad to read that you have a warm and cozy house with the new boiler.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails