Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 2 January 2020

So this is January

Using some of my advent calender yarn from Hedgerow yarns, simple knitted squares. I have yesterday made a purchase of yarn from Burrow & Soar, to use with these colours, my purchase is of bright colours, they had a 30% off sale, too good to miss. 
A Christmas gift, this will be my 1st read of the new year, 
last year I read 59 books. 
Outside in the garden, I have new growth on begonias and geraniums, fruit bushes in bud and hellebore's in bud, totally crazy again this year, but our weather has become so mild, nothing in the garden surprises me any more. 
 Bulbs are shooting, far too early, I even have tulips in leaf.
 My Olive tree is doing well, I am watching the weather and will cover this when it gets colder, I don't want to risk losing it. 
 Inside my Amaryllis is in bud, the ones from previous years only produced leaves this year, and some flowers given to me on Christmas day. 
 I took all the decorations down on 30th December, it was good to clean the house, we have been sorting piles of laundry, I can't remember the last time we did so much bedding, but it was lovely to see so many visitors.
New Years eve we stayed up to watch Graham Norton and stayed awake until just after midnight, we don't go out anymore. We had lunch on New Years day with daughters MIL, another family day, Will loves to see us all together.
Now it's just quiet time at home, Su and George are popping in later, Will is at nursery, so I get loads of baby cuddles.
I don't make resolutions, but I do have a few things I want to change this year, trying to ensure our lives are in tune with our environment and local British suppliers.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your new grandson (last post) Love the knitted squares. I planted my Amaryllis on Christmas eve. Not much is hppening yet

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your squares are coming along, I haven't used any of my advent calendar yet but it will go into my blanket eventually. I got bought a new amaryllis for Christmas which I've yet to plant, I meant to get round to it already but forgot, I must remedy that. We also took our decorations down on the 30th, it was nice to reclaim the house and give it a thorough clean. I love Christmas and I don't like to rush the celebrations but I do like to get a bit of normality back before the new year begins. Enjoy the baby cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little George is beautiful and will bring you all much joy.
    Your olive tree is doing far better than mine - I am guilty of neglecting them though so not surprising.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its lovely to see the garden sprouting into life. I have a pot of snowdrops doing well. You are such a skillful knitters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your olive tree is glorious. Happy New Year Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope 2020 brings good health for you both and many happy times for you and all the family. The weather is certainly very strange at the moment, far too mild and warm, we have bulbs poking out already too.
    I had an amaryllis in a secret santa mid December at my book group, its really growing well. Something to look forward to during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely job you are doing on those squares. They are going to look wonderful once your blanket is finished.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours of your squares are lovely and I like the way they are knitted on the diagonal. Nature certainly doesn’t understand the weather and what season it should be. I saw some daffodil leaves sprouting the other day, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitted squares look great, I haven't had time to do much of anything over Christmas despite having two weeks off work. My cold is finally at it's end so I might feel more like it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your knitted squares. We still haven't taken down our decs yet. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails