Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 5 January 2020

Seeing less of me

I'm not giving up or cutting back on blogging, this post is about the start of my weight loss and fitness journey, after being found pre-diabetic in December.

Every year I weigh myself and record my weight, in the past 7 years I have put on just under a stone, 11 pounds, sounds good, but I am  overweight for my height, I'm just five foot four inches, below is my BMI.
My biggest issue is I have high Cholesterol, which I have known since I was 19, and have controlled my diet all my life, staying away from animal fats, dairy, sugar and processed foods. I always find it hard to lose weight as I don't eat many of the items, which is reduced or removed when on a diet. 
But portion sizes are an issue, I do eat too much, 3 meals a day, and an occasional treat. I do have 2 or 3 glasses of red wine a week. I need to re-educate myself into system which allows me to lose the weight and keep it off. I last dieted in 2009, when I lost 21 pounds, this time I would like to lose a bit more. 
Exercise is also a problem for me, since I stopped working 2 years ago, I am walking much less, at first I went out 3 times a day for a local walk, then the winter months came and often it was wet and the walks slowed down and I have not walked for exercise for months. I do always walk to the village, and I am up and down our stairs many times through the day. 
I have a perfect bike in the garage we purchased for using with the camper van, I have not used it since we sold the van a year ago. 
I have got my yoga DVD out to start again, I need to pratice before booking a course of classes, I'm not sure if my shoulder is strong enough.

I am using the NHS site as a guide, there is nothing new here, I'm 64 and I know most of what I need to do, and more importantly I want to sort this now. 

So many of my clothes are tight, most of my weight is around my middle, so with many pairs of trousers I have a huge muffin top. I have said many times I don't want to purchase bigger clothes, so now is the time to get sorted. 
I'm not going to post each week, but I will give updates along the trip, I am giving myself 12 weeks, which is the same time my daughter is aiming to lose here baby weight, together we can support each other. 

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your weight loss regime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you here. I am the same height as you and weight has crept up to over 11 and a half stones. My downfall is carbs, especially in the winter. I’m starting tomorrow as first day back at work. I have been to Slimming world before and lost some but I didn’t feel it was very healthy at times. Portion size is probably where I go wrong. I love food and feeling full. I shall be interested to see how you get on and what works for you.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the opposite problem. I've been the same size since I was 14 and being underweight is a problem I've always struggled with. I used to be very anaemic, but the menopause cured that. I was assured that women ALWAYS put on weight during menopause; not so for me. People seem to envy slim people, but being underweight can be as bad for you as being overweight. I hope your diet works for you and you soon feel better. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with losing weight. I have exactly the same problem and no matter how well I do during the warmer months, it all goes to pot during the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same problem I have. After being told my cholesterol was higher than it should be I started the diet and exercise routine to control it. I did lose weight to begin with and lowered the cholesterol reading. However for the last few 6 months weight loss has stagnated and I was put on meds just about 2 months ago.


    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was easier in the warm months for me too, now it is drab and cold mid afternoon it is hard to stay away from crumpets etc! I am hoping more walking will let me lose the next 11 lbs, where I have been stuck for 2 months. As part of being a parish councillor I am going to survey the roads I cycle regularly and report every pesky pot hole. Need to walk to do it as I need a photo and exact location to report each one. So that will give me a purpose to get out there. Hope you can find something to drive you out walking too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It could have been me writing that post. Tomorrow is a whole new start to the tear for me. Good luck with your weight loss program.. I will be watching closely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to do better by myself this year as well. I just calculated my BMI and its 28.4 this is where I was before having the kids so I can't blame it on them. Yes, I know all about the dreaded muffin top :(
    Good luck to you and thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know Marlene, I am on the same journey. I'm not finding it that easy, but it is happening. I think having patience is one huge thing that needs to be added to any regime, especially if we are wanting to make the loss permanent. I wish I was more patient!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think as you get older you have to adjust your eating even more. I've reduced carbohydrates potatoes, bread and cake. It gradually becomes a lifestyle and a way of life, just as walking everyday is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you well on your journey.

    As you may know my husband Eddie was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2008. Since then we have both lived a LCHF lifestyle, it suits us both and I'm not diabetic!

    Of course how we live, what we eat, what exercise etc we do always has to be a personal choice to suit us, the individual, and any health/medical issues.

    You may find these posts of interest:-
    Introduction to low-carb for beginners.
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

    What is LCHF Anyway - Please Read More and Find Out.
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2015/03/what-is-lchf-anyway-please-read-more.html

    My good wishes to you and yours in 2020.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you brilliant reading, lots of things I already knew, but it's good to know I am on the right path.

      Delete
  12. It's 11 months since I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and the dr sent me on the NHS pre-diabetic course. I went to one class each month for 10 months. It was quite interesting and I learnt quite a lot. I've lost 1 1/2 stone and now am no longer pre-diabetic and my BMI is just under 25.
    You can do it Marlene, good luck to you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankis this is a perfect comment for me at the start of my journey, I need to lose the weight but more important I need to reduce the threat of diabetis.

      Delete
  13. Good luck with your weight loss and exercise routine. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails