Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 5 December 2023

Home made

I adore this cross stitch design, I made it many years ago, hubby got it framed for me, I love to see it out, it always hangs in our hall, next to the kitchen. It's a true spirit of Christmas, much how we now see the season. 
My love of cross stitch shines through in my cushions, the gold patterned one I remade this year, turning 5 small designs into one cushion, the teddies are again years old, finished in 2011,  my tiny tree is a design I played with and the big french tree, I finished last year. 
I made these stockings when our girls were young, so probably early 90's, the girls stockings were nicer, these were made quickly with what fabrics I had at home, one year our daughters wanted us to get a stocking, they were past the age of believing in Santa. We still use them every year, both daughters still have their original ones as well. 
Two years ago, I made new sacks for youngest daughters children, she asked for this shape so books can be popped in them. I am so happy our grandchildren get their excitement on Christmas morning, in something I made for them, no fur as George does love to chew on it.
I have always made things for the tree, whilst our girls were at infant and junior schools, every year a friend and I would knit Christmas puddings, we made loads, they were very cheap and popular with the children, the cat cross stitch was made in 2011, and the glass ornament a couple of years ago. 
I do make cakes each year, I've still to finish them for this year, so no photo's yet, these were from last year, I make for ourselves and our youngest daughter, and a smaller cake for my brother, it's not something I will stop doing yet, everyone enjoys them, so it's worth the effort. 
This is very special to me, back in mid 90's I was a guide leader, and my young leader (helper under the age of 18) made this card for me, it was her first attempt, it's too precious to ever discard, and has it's place in my Santa display. I messaged her a couple of years ago, to say I still had the card, she was surprised and happy to see it. 

I am making needle felting designs, but still not quite finished, you can see them here, most years I am busy with presents to knit and sew, socks for family and toys for the little ones, I'm having a break this year, which is good as these bugs are just not going anywhere, and I'm so tired all the time. I won't finish my Christmas blanket this season, which I'm OK with. 

I have to top ice the cakes, I have already started making the snowflakes, which I will decorate the top with, I do try to make everything edible and no plastic, the ribbon bands around the cake are giving back to me to reuse. 

I love to see these old decorations come out each year, I don't believe in having a different theme each year, as with the baubles on the tree, most of everything we display has a story, it's our history.  

8 comments:

  1. Christmas is about tradition and memories, not following fashion. It's not a competition, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your framed cross stitch picture. No wonder you want to display it each year. The Santa cross stitch is also lovely and a wonderful memory of your young guide helper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely to get out the Christmas decorations each year, the ones with memories are the most precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of our Christmas decorations hold special memories ... it's what Christmas is about :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work. I have a similar card given to me by a friend many years ago and it still goes up each year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas decorations. I really should make some cross stitch for my walls suitable for the season, and more little ornaments as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about changing the theme of decorations every year. I love getting out our old decorations time and again and being reminded of past Christmases. You have so many talents Marlene. Your cakes look so professional. I look forward to seeing this years. I love the trees that you've cross stitched onto your cushions. I've got a couple of small cross stitch kits to do this Xmas. I haven't done any in over 30 years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails