Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 31 December 2023

Another year

How quickly the days, weeks and months fly by and once again here we are at the last day of the year, it's been a good year, the house is back to how it looks most of the year, I have loads of candles to burn, to bring in light, my garden note book is out, time to plan, nothing big, just raised bed planting, and a rejig of the greenhouse, I will sow seeds this spring. Life is about home, we have worked hard to ensure we are able to enjoy our retired years, we both love our home and garden.

I have found time for a final book this year, I love this author, when I picked up this book I knew I would be enjoying the story, she always manages to find a different theme for her books, she never repeats a plot. Book 37 read this year. I have not read as many books this year, I have tried to be outside more, doing things with hubby. 

My Christmas cake has been cut, we always wait until decorations are packed away, it's lovely and moist again, I always cut off the icing and marzipan, I can't eat nuts, so I get just the fruit cake hit. Daughter sent photo of Will, George and Molly eating theirs, my brother has not cut his yet.

We are both healthy as are our family, these days we are actively ensuring we are the best we can be, my weight is much lower that at the start of this year. Thanks to Pilates class, I feel much fitter, my movement is much easier, I have had less backache, and my posture has improved, I have also lost inches around my body. Hubby is in good health and as strong as ever, I sometime wonder how well he is aging, much better than me, but our bodies whilst looking similar, have had very different lives, children and cancer for me, heart issues for him. I have put a couple pounds back on, I'm not too bothered, it was in 2021 I was last this lower weight.

Sadly again we did not see much of our older grandsons, with weekend sports clubs and busy lives, living so far away means we don't see them often enough, knowing they are growing, healthy and happy keeps us going. I see my siblings when we visit Somerset, but hubby's siblings are all around the country, we did get to see his older brother and sister twice in the year, another brother in the autumn and have plans to visit Wales in February to see another sister and brother. 

I don't make resolutions at the end of the year, I prefer to have goals set through out the year and have a balanced life rather than everything in one go. Again I am going to say, nothing big is planned for the next year, we are going to decorate our bedroom and the stairs, which is a bigger project, but we can take our time in the summer when the days are longer and warmer. 

If you are still with me I wish you a Happy New Year,

 and hope you wishes come true for you.

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year 2024 to you and your family. I enjoy reading your blog very much and love photos of your makes and the garden. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2024 to you and yours and may any troubles be little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed The Horse Dancer too, a beautiful story. Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy new year, Marlene. I love seeing all your garden photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and continuing good health to you both, Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, your cake looks delicious, we didn't make one as we're always dieting, but my husband made a lemon drizzle which we have a very small piece some afternoons with a cuppa. So still eating cake just a different one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and your family, Marlene. I look forward to following you in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Wishes to you and your family.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year. That cake does look delicious. No Christmas cake here. Far too much food in general and too hot to feel like fruit cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you and your loved ones a happy healthy homely New Year :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you a very happy New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Christmas cake looks delicious. My hubby will probably have the rest of our cake. I had a few pieces and enjoyed them but have had enough fruit cake for now.
    Have a great 2024 with family, and enjoy what makes you happy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, sending best wishes to you and your family.
    I picked the Horse Dancer up in Tesco last week but put it back, I have so many books on TBR shelf already, perhaps later when I've read some of those, I do love JJM.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails