Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 25 August 2023

Not much

Another incredible book to read, I do love Sharon Bolton, she holds your attention all through the book, lots a little details, which weave through the plot. This is a sequel to The Craftman, and is set 30 years later, lives have been lived and the town has moved on, and at the same time stuck in the past. Book 23 read this year.
Many years ago, I made this adorable felt cat, using the pattern from this Japanese book, I could not understand the written instructions, the book is packed full of animal patterns, with sketches showing how to make them, at the time I made loads of animals. I kept the cat, it's on my shelf by my desk, I love the quirky style. 
So for my next needle felting project, I thought I would make a copy of the cat, here is the body I have shaped, it's a bit bigger, I used too much of the fibre, probably a common newbie mistake, but I am shaping it down to size. I found the head a bit of a struggle, I had to start it a second time, unlike the body which I formed freehand, I required a pipe-cleaner form head shaped to wrap the rovings around, this I found much better, remembering my tutors words, use less and wrap more to build the shape, as yet not picture worthy.
 I quickly realised the few tools I purchased years ago are for making flat designs, and not useful for shaping 3D items. Sadly there is nowhere locally to purchase supplies, Hobbycraft is the only place and as I purchased the items in the right hand photo, which are unsuitable, I had to go online. There are some great sites for need-felting, but again you need to know what to purchase and then there are delivery charges, so I gave in and looked on Amazon, I got this kit, it has 4 sizes in needles and a few extras, including wooden handles. 

After saying there were no discounts from the publisher I use to print my blog books, I got an email, 30% off, as with everything else the prices have risen, but to a level I still feel OK to pay for my book, 2020 will be with me soon, I was very glad to finish rereading that year. I have just November and December to import into 2021, I have proof read up to and including July, so a bit more work to do, but I'm getting there. I do think I will do 2022, so Molly features in my books, all other grandchildren have their places in my blog and therefore in these books. 

Nothing much has happened here, I harvest small amounts of fruit and veg, tidy and dead head around the garden, clean the house and read, I'm not in the mood for much crafting, just enjoying the peace within out tidy home. We have shopped for our BBQ today, my brother is here, and daughter and her 3 will arrive later with her mum and dad in law, we always invite them to our family BBQ's. My brother is staying for a week, he will visit his daughter, but not stay over long, they have a new puppy who does not like the nights and is very noisy, so no plans, we both enjoy his company.

4 comments:

  1. I can't realise that it's Bank Holiday again - the last one until Christmas. Barbecues are popular for this holiday, around here, anyway. I hope you enjoy your company - it's good to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not heard of that author, I'm always on the lookout for new to me authors, thanks. I fancy trying needle felting, will get round to it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your brother's visit. I'm not really doing much sewing at the moment. Maybe once this job has finished I will get back to it. Have a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be tossing some pots of plants this week that just are no longer doing very well.

    Enjoy your visit and I love your needle felting projects.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails