Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 14 December 2019

Denim cushions

I had to make cushion inners first, I wanted these cushions to be much bigger, full and firm, my brother's new sofa is big. I had an old quilt cover, where the corners had worn, but the cotton was still good, perfect for the inner covers. Here is one by a normal sized cushion. 
 I had already cut the legs from jeans, now I cut 4inch wide strips, the denim is thick, so I did not want tiny widths, which the seams would have made the cushion bulky. I used my cutting wheel, perfect for this task.
 I already knew I would not make them matching, and had decided I would have a panel with the seams going a different way, this would add to the interest. As you can see, there were different shades of blue. 
 I had planned this design, but I did not have a piece long enough to go across the cushion, as I planned, so I stitched this together and then stitched it to the panels. 
 On my sofa, which is really small, they do look good, and are really strong, I backed the cushions with some black velvet, which is firm enough to balance the weight of the front panels. 
I finished the bottom seam by hand, I did think of using a zip, but these are huge and the zips, which would need to be strong are expensive. I can always undo and restitch should they require washing.
It took most of Friday to make these cushions, cutting and remaking, much like a simple quilting, does take time, plus I did not want to rush, I wanted the panels to be equal sizes, which meant stitching slowly and careful.
Hubby was out all day with the car, so it was perfect to finish this task, I even managed to pack away the rest of the denim pieces in my stash in the attic. I am on a tidy trip around the house, packing my yarn stash in my wardrobe upstairs, so the spare room is tidy. I have also sorted my craft area in our office, I still have projects out, but most are stashed away for the next couple of weeks.
George had his footprints done for his 1st Christmas tree decorations, daughter will pick them up next week, his foot print was tiny, he is just 3 weeks old, Will was 10 months when he did his 1st ornament.
I have now finished all the hand made gifts, and most of my presents are wrapped, but in truth we don't get too many gifts, our grandsons always have money, so they can get something they want. I do have to finish my cake, but it's just a case of rolling out icing and covering the cake, I have already made my Santa topper.
Today is sunny and bright, but so very cold, we have few plans, Will is coming after lunch for a sleep over, mummy and daddy are not going out, we just wanted Will to see all our lights in the dark and a sleep over was the best way, well that's my excuse for having him here.

7 comments:

  1. Your cushions are wonderful! Your brother will be thrilled with them. The different shades of denim look sop effective. I'm glad you had the time to work on them and get them finished. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cushions are lovely, Marlene. Lucky brother to have such a talented sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pillows look lovely. I was wondering how wide the strips would be and how the design would be.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fabulous, your brother will be thrilled with them. Such a lovely idea to use your brother's jeans in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have your Christmas plans well organised! I love your cushions, especially the striped one with the different coloured denim. You are one very creative lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cushions are a great use of the jeans fabric that if I recall belonged to your brother. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have thought of doing this, they look great, I bet your brother will be well please with them :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails