Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 3 October 2019

Sunny October day

Our neighbours tree was resting on our garage roof, I love this tree, after a chat with our neighbour, who confirmed the tree was not damaged in last Sundays storm, hubby cut back the huge branch .
 As soon as the branch was removed the rest sprung upright, still looking good, I was letting it grow over my shed, now we know the tree can't take the weight on the ends of the branches. It's still full of berries for the birds, we have left the cuttings along our back fence where the birds feed. 
 We finished the top of our magnolia, well hubby did the cutting, I just pointed to the place for the cut, throughout the stormy weather, this tree has taken a bashing, so now it has been thinned out and trimmed and should not have any issues in the winter storms. Once the huge leaves are gone it's not a problem, the bonus from cutting it back, is there will be loads less leaves on the lawn to pick up. 
 My pots by the main entrance at the side of the house has been changed, these eucalyptus plants are evergreen, so these pots should stay looking good, the stones were pricey but I love the colours.
Wednesday we spent in the garden, it was sunny all day, cold first thing, but by lunch time it was warm. I have done all my pots, so loads of autumn colour around the place. It should be the last big tidy around the plot. I dug out the 2 long strawberry pots, replanting a couple strawberries into another pot, I'm not completely ready to give them up yet, I planted flowers in the pots, brings some colour to the back of the garden. I also cut back the raspberry canes, I now ensure I only cut back the long canes which produced fruit this summer, I have two types of raspberries mixed.
My greenhouse is full, but I don't mind, bringing in plants each year for protection helps in keeping them healthy.
Later after a brilliant shower, I knitted on my stripy socks, the stripes make knitting much easier, and therefore quicker to knit.

6 comments:

  1. Your garden looks lovely. I didn't get a single raspberry this year. This has got me wondering if I pruned it wrong. I shall investigate! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what kind of tree the one with the orange berries is? It's really unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked it up and I think it's a Pyracanatha Orange Charmer, it's a tall growing shrub, so this one must be at it's full height.

      Delete
  3. Glad the tree wasn't damaged, it looks so pretty. I spent all yesterday afternoon in the garden too, there was lots of clearing up to be done after the wind and rain and me not being there for 4 days. There will be a ton more leaves for me to pick up before the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite the established garden. It's looking grand, even despite the storm damage. But no doubt, due to your hard work together. Glad all your little lovelies, are safe in the greenhouse, waiting for the next growing season, outside. And yay for eucalyptus! A piece of my home, at yours. I hope they do well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your neighbour's tree definitely looks like a Pyracantha to me. I've got one directly below my living room window. It's a great burglary deterrent with it's long thorns! Your magnolia has been pruned to a lovely shape.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails