Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 12 October 2019

Growing inside

It's a wet weekend and our cats have the right idea, I have plants everywhere inside, this is my stitching storage cabinet beside my chair. 
 I have had this orchid for over a year, I'm still waiting to see if it will flower again, there is loads of growth on here.
 These have been brought back to a light place, hopefully to flower again.
 The blooms on here are stunning and have been out for weeks, 
and should last for loads more weeks. 
 My coffee plants, sits by the patio doors, 
it's light here but no direct sunlight, these love the shade. 
 These flowers are over a week old, on my dining room table, 
all the above plants are in my sitting room. 
 In the bathroom, full of buds, these have a stunning pink flower. 
 My baby plant is slowly growing, 
the parent plant is doing brilliant in my greenhouse. 
 In my office, I love string of pearls. 
 Pineapple plant has not done much,
but the babies are growing. 
The african violet has moved from the kitchen, it's sunnier in here.
 Cuttings on the window sill, 
aftrican violets and a hanging plant from the garden. 
Hubby is getting used to having so many plants inside, I try and keep them out of his way, he understands my need to grow things. Some plants are new, small cuttings or old favorites which I have had for years, all of them are loved.
My focus is inside and the greenhouse, the garden is still looking good, but we have been closing it down for winter, last year I did not cut back plants leaving seed heads for the wildlife and I plan to do the same this year.

18 comments:

  1. You have such green fingers! Houseplants never do well for me. I put them in the right place, feed baby bio and water as per instruction, yet they very soon die. I think best just to let plants grow in the garden, they do so much better without interference from me. I leave seed heads and only cut back when they're completely finished, so tidying up a bit when it's nice enough to get out. The weather is warm and sunny today. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feed my indoor plants, I want them to grow in their own pace, but I do feed Orchids if I get a 2nd lots of blooms.

      Delete
  2. So many house plants. I have my orchid and a couple of succulents but that's it. I like plants which are happy to look after themselves for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my succulents now live in my greenhouse.

      Delete
  3. Love the orchid, I always wonder why people ask how to look after them, I 've always found them to look after themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your houseplants are looking great, I have only just mastered growing orchids successfully I always use to kill them off, other than spider plants with hanging babies can you recommend any houseplants which grow/dangle down? I am looking for something to put in a macrame hanging basket in the corner of my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. String of peals will love the bathroom, mine is in the green pot on the black stand. They grow quickly easy to grow and looks wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I love everything about germination, rooting and repotting. Watching a lost breathe life us wonderful. I dont have many window sills so it's very difficult for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some very pretty pots for your plants. I have the same orchid as you, and although it flowered for a long time when I first had it, it hasn't flowered now for well over a year. Maybe I will try it in a place with more light as well, as it is rather shaded where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If mine starts to bloom I will post about it, I really am winging it as I don't even know the name of the plant, so I can't look up caring for it.

      Delete
  7. I love your plants. My big regret in our house is we only have one windowsill in the kitchen which is packed with plants. It would be heaven to have more.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indoors plants, are so soothing when you cannot go outside. I feel your need to keep things growing, when the main garden shuts down. I love the look of your plants - the unique containers and their different leaf shapes. I'm always looking for real estate around my windows, for my plants too. I will have to give coffee a try, as I'm looking for low light plants.

    Do you have problems with plants drying out in winter, with the heat? I just purchased a humidifier for some of my plants. When we don't get the rain, we get a lot of dry heat, during summer. I'm hoping the humidifier will help. Do you have any interventions you use to help your plants, get through the winter stint inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my pots are 2nd hand from charity shops, often kitchen pots or candle holders. my office is the sunny room, getting any sunshine about, the kitchen and bathroom gets evening sun. The dining room gets very little natural light and we get limited light in our sitting room. I only water when the plant is dry, I check them each week. I don't normally fuss with my inside plants, if I have one which I need to keep an eye on, it's stays in my office.

      Delete
  9. You have a very interesting collection of plants. I love the little pineapple you are growing. Did you grow it from a pineapple top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had any luck growing from tops, this pineapple won't get any bigger, once you change their environment it often stops their growth, but I have 3 baby plants which I hope to grow on and get a good sized pineapple.

      Delete
  10. I've never been too lucky with indoor plants … in fact the other day I cheated and bought a very realistic looking artificial orchid :)

    The weather this weekend hasn't been good has it, we had a very brief respite from the wind and rain earlier and I ventured out for a quick walk dodging the showers!

    My good wishes for the new week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we are having people here and I don't have an orchid in flower, I will use a silk orchid stem in bloom in a rear plant, it's very hard to tell it's fake.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails