Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 25 April 2020

What are you growing.

In 2019 I had a beautiful Amaryllis, as the flowers went over they produced seed pods, so I planted the seeds, and they grew.
The pot above was crowded, so I thought I would pot them on, I was surprised to see such good roots and a tiny bulb has formed, I had to find bigger pots for them. 
 Six in plastic pots, 3 in bigger pots which can be used inside, it's exciting to see something new growing from saved seeds. I have no idea how these will progress, or even if I will get flowers.
 I thought I would update you on other seeds and pips I have growing.

In flower is my Lime plant, this was purchased as a plant, I was not able to find pips in limes. Next is my orange tree, this was grown from a pip planted back in 2015. Both are due to be placed in bigger pots. 
 My Lemon tree, planted in 2014, I cleaned and popped the pip in soil and was pleased when it grew, this started my fun on growing things from seeds and pips. I have a bigger grey pot to give this plant more space. These 3 plants are still in the greenhouse. 
 Cape gooseberry, planted in 2018, I have cut all the growth back, it had better shoots from the base, again I have no idea how I should be growing this. 
 Pomegranate sown in 2017, I cleaned the pink fruits and 1 grew, I have just put it in a bigger pot, the leaves drop each year and every spring it gets bigger and more wonderful. 
 Kiwi also planted in 2017, it took a couple trys to get these to grow, 1st attempt I picked out all the tiny black seeds and popped them on a wet kitchen towel, they grew but were to tiny to pop into soil. 2nd attempt, I cut a slice of kiwi and popped it on soil, it did go moldy, but I left it and I got 1 plant. It has been outside for a couple of years, and loves a sunny spot in the garden. 
 I am growing this kiwi for the blossom, it is beautiful, as yet this plant has not produced any, but I am hopeful this will be the year, the leaves are furry as is the stems, it's a very different plant. There was one growing in a neighbours garden back in 2013. 
 One of the babies from my pineapple plant, after the tiny fruit ripened, the plant died, so I potted up the babies, this lives on my desk, it's always sunny and warm here. 
 In the green house I have 2 other pots, the single baby had good roots, the pot with the glass cover has 3 plants which do not have many roots, the dome I hope will help them to grow, it's working so far. 
I have other things, an acorn sapling, I have a couple of nuts in soil, to see if they will grow, I am always looking for something to try and grow. I did grow  an avocado and had it for a couple of years, but it did not winter well in the greenhouse. Not everything grows, I had walnut sapling given to me, which curled up and died, and loads of things which never started growing, but if you don't try you will never succeed.
My green house is full, I have trays of flower seedlings, a couple tomato plants and I got another packet of cucumber seeds, the old ones I planted did not grow. I was given 3 camellia seeds, which I have planted, the itch to grow is huge at this time of year.
My mood has picked up again, feeling more positive, I'm finding it better for me if I focus on home and family, I can't change the world, but I can live the best in my world.
Husband went to our local B&Q, he got loads of bits, so he can finish jobs, mainly painting, he's ex army and follows the mantra, if it does not move paint it.
This weekend I am planning time with my sewing machine, simple projects, things which can be finished, my crochet blanket is growing slowly, having mastered the design, I am finding it's very repetitive, but it does look good. I am also reading, which is always good for me.

11 comments:

  1. After reading about how you grow plants from seeds and pips, I bought some oranges last week....only to find they're seedless!! The hairy kiwi stems look fantastic. Hope you get some flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your pip success. I too love to grow things from pips and seeds and had a great collection of all sorts last year. Sadly, following my disastrous hip operation, they all were neglected and I am ashamed to say that every single one of them died. I fully intend to try again this year though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly got green fingers. It will be interesting to see how your amaryllis plantlets go on, I've never had a seed pod grow on mine but I have replanted the bulb before but it didn't grow flowers. I think you might have better luck with seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to attempt to grow a lemon pip into something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a brother-in-law who has grown several peach and plum trees from seed. I grew belladonna lilies from seed once - if I remember right they took about three years to flower, so give your amaryllis time and they will grow. It is so satisfying growing things from seed (I tried rhubarb seed once and that was highly successful - we got all different types growing, some good and some not so good). Lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you grow so much from pips. I'm thinking of planting an avocado stone. We grew a plant many years ago, but haven't tried again since. I'd also like to try an orange plant. Do they need special soil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just potting compost, the one tip I can give is to clean all the flesh off any seed or pip, they can go mouldy if not cleaned.

      Delete
  7. I hope your amaryllis grow and produce flowers, you'll have a great display if they do. I love the kiwi plant, i might have a go at that, they flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What luck you have planting the seeds of all those different fruits. This is something I have been itching to try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to watch the amaryllis seeds grow, it will be interesting to see how they develop.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails