Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 10 March 2018

Green gardening

This one photo is so full of hope.
All gardening is green, right? 
But think about plastic in the garden, I have. 
As with other parts of our lives plastic is everywhere in the garden.

I started thinking about the cost of gardening 6 or 7 years ago, and decided I would replace things with the best I could afford, at the time I was thinking after I finish work, I would not have so much disposable cash. So I started at the end of each season, purchasing good quality items at sale price, Wilkinson's and local garden centers were my best shops in late summer.
I also recycled my few large plastic pots for pottery, this was done because I thought pottery ones looked colourful and had better water level qualities for the plants inside.
I got my large greenhouse so I could grow my own plants, replacing the plastic ones I had for glass, which last much longer and can be recycled.
All the above means I can cut down on how much plastic I bring into my garden, if I buy plants in pots (almost only if they are on sale and I can revive them), I take the pots back to a local garden center (saving them until I am next in the area) where they are sent for recycle. My aim this year is not to buy bedding plants, I will grow all my own.
I have a lovely wooden plant pot maker using newspaper, and I save toilet roll centers for growing seedlings on.
In my shed I have loads of plastic covered metal plant stays, in many different shape and sizes, I have loads of heavy duty seed trays and covers. These will last me for years, in fact I don't feel I should need to replace much of my gardening tools.
I do buy compost, probably 8-10 bags a year,  I have no where in my tiny garden to have a composter, there was one behind the garage, but we moved it and put the shed in the space. I do keep the bags when empty, I almost always find a second use for them. All my garden waste is collected each fortnight by the council for use in compost.
My aim for the garden is to try and reduce to almost nothing the purchase of one use plastic, I see most places now have product in cardboard boxes as well as of plastic, and I will now always choose cardboard.
Our local plant stand in the local market is now having bareroot plants in newspaper, as my parent  got their plants. So ditching the plastic is already growing at nursery level.
I don't need to purchase much this year, but I will look for the green option.
Most of the decisions and changes I have made in the last few years were made for financial reasons, I love gardening and wanted to ensure I would have the equipment to allow me to enjoy our outside space. Now I can see the decisions will keep me away from the over use of flimsy plastics.
In my gardeners world magazine Monty has stated he is going as plastic free as he can, it will be interesting to see what he brings to my decision making, he made a start in last nights Gardeners World on TV.



5 comments:

  1. I think people are becoming more aware of using plastic in all areas of life, it can only be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if we will see a return to the lovely clay pots which I remember being used for all seedlings and small plants when I was a child?

    Not sure how nurseries and garden centres would manage - so much opportunity for breakages? As you say it will be interesting to see where this goes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Gardener's world back on. Great, I'll have to watch it on catch up. An interesting and thought provoking post Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has become almost too easy to use plastic without thinking. I am reducing my use in the house steadily although it is not always easy. Last night I ordered some beeswax impregnated wraps for food storage. Not a cheap option but they are reusable for up to a year. I would love alternatives in the garden too. Only problem with loo roll middles is that they dry out too fast. Hopefully manufacturers will get there act together. Didn’t Monty look cold? I felt so sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a lot of people who are becoming more aware of not using plastic, we are too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails