Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 2 October 2017

Cutting out

Another good month, hardly anything for the garden and no craft
I did get bulbs for the garden. 
I could not put this book down, interesting story line,
who is telling the biggest lies, and an ending which was wonderful. 
 Squares cut for Will's winter cot quilt
 I took loads of care, ensuring the cutting edges were straight
 With some leftovers of another project.
Really pleased with my stash spend, I will blow any savings soon, I have a project for Christmas day fun, and it will require loads of fabrics. Daughter and I are going shopping soon, I'm hoping the festive fabrics are in the shops.
I spent Monday afternoon cutting out fat quarters, firstly I ensure each fabric was square and cut straight, I got 12 squares from each piece, 8 designs, so 96 squares. The quilt requires 48 squares, 6 across and 8 down, the extra's will be used on the floor of the reading wigwam I am also making. The designs should sit straight along the quilt, I am looking for a smart finish, the design is much simpler than I wanted to make, but I stuck to the design my daughter had seen and liked, the only difference is the fabric designs. Daughter loves the shades of grey, I have added a bit of extra colour with the airplane design. I have a cushion with a book pocket to make, and I will make another using some of the bits left over.
I will not sew today, the cutting out was intense, my shoulders ache, but I am pleased every thing should line up, it would drive me mad if the design was wonky or the corners don't match on the finished quilt.


5 comments:

  1. I do love to see all the gorgeous quilts you talented bloggers make. I'd love a handmade quilt, but sewing is just not my thing. Have to stick to crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always struggle to match the corners, no matter how careful I am cutting the squares. Love all the grey fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's definitely worth taking a bit extra time to ensure everything lines up well for a good finish. I think it's going to look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely selection of fabrics chosen for Will's quilt. I just can't get on with a rotary cutter no matter how hard I try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the grey fabrics you are using in the quilt. I would love to have a go at making one for my Granddaughter but i'm really not very good at cutting out, even with a rotary cutter i can't seem to get a straight line!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails