Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 11 October 2023

Memories or dust collectors

I was gifted these by my ex MIL, a lovely lady, these belonged to her mother, when we helped clear her house out, MIL brought them home in a huge box of trinklets. I have them simply because I love them, when the split with my 1st husband happened, I tried to give them back, but MIL knew I loved them and wanted me to have them, they will be passed on to my daughters. I have tried to find out what they were used for, I know they were made along the France Germany border at the start of 1900's, probably as candle reed holders.
This was given as a wedding gift in 1973, I have always loved it, it does get used often without the handle, which I keep just because they belong together. I have nothing else from my 1st marriage, it's a bigger size than my dinner plates. 

This delightful little statue was a 21st birthday gift to me in 1976, I have always loved it, unlike other gifts this has survived many moves and sits in my cabinet. A friends parent got it for me, haven't seen the friend in over 40 years, his parents I suspect are no longer with us. I love the simplistic style of the children, very old fashioned now. 
These little county dishes were every where in the 70's, I started collecting them on trips around the country, they were cheap, but very useful as a memento, I had quite a collection, but as with so many things, they ended up in a box, I did keep my home county, nice memories.
I very recently sorted all my Aynsley china, Little Sweetheart, this is just the bits I had left, I had given my sister loads, I collected these over 10 years, now I see them as dust collectors, they are in a box in the attic, other than the vases which have been used, the rest is in perfect condition. BUT no one wants them anymore.

Mum collected brass items, loads were passed to my eldest brother. Both of us come from bigger families, I was 1 of 9 children, hubby 1 of 7 children.  My mum outlived my dad by a couple of decades, and in her final years lived with my younger sister, so loads of her things were passed on, my sister has kept the rest, I do have a small pot mum loved, sadly it was damaged before given to me. I have my dad's old red driving licence, as shown here,  and his walking stick, he did not own much. Most of the things in my childhood home, I would never had wanted, these days photo's are scanned and shared, but we don't ever get to see all the albums mum kept, my sister promises to find them but never looks.

These things above other than the two clown pots won't be wanted by anyone, our children have less clutter than we did, very few ornaments, what they have, has to match their décor. At some point I think charity shops will stop taking all the trinkets people no longer want, I am sure the market for them is shrinking, I know I am happier with so much less in our lives. We are using our best crystal glasses, and when our everyday dinner service needs replacing, we will use our best set, I see no point is leaving it in a cupboard, I grew up in a world where there was a best set for everything, these days I want to enjoy our stuff. 

8 comments:

  1. My MiL (not so much my Mum) had tons of what was more or less junk, she loved trinkets and fake flowers, none of which anybody wanted after she died. I used to collect Chinese ginger jars but eventually got rid of them (a dealer bought them all as a job lot, I sold them for peanuts), they weren't valuable and were just dust gatherers, as you say. We don't have 'best' china or glassware anymore, everything gets used, and I've decluttered considerably with my kitchenware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, certainly neither of my children has 'trinkets', I don't even have that many anymore. I do still have a box of things in the garage from my mums house, she had Aynsley and Royal Dolton figurines, none of which were wanted by anyone, such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the charity shops will stop taking donations. One person's dust collector is another's treasured find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have many trinkets just a few from my paternal Grandmother, but what I do have is photographs and it is an ongoing occupation for me in sorting and putting them in albums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think charity shops will stop taking donations, most items seem to find another home ...

    Like you we use and enjoy our glasses, plates etc. what's the point in having them if you don't use them on a regular basis.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have some of the Ansley Little Sweetheart China - vases, trinket dishes etc, and would have collected more if the local shop selling it had not closed as a consequence of the 2007 crash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of it these days is seen as clutter rather than memories. Tastes and fashions change and empty shelves are preferred to those filled with trinkets. I have a few things I would never part with which hold dear memories but even some of those aren't on display.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We inherited a lot of stuff over the years from departed loved ones. On our big move to smaller quarters here, I got rid of most of it, knowing that no one else would want it, keeping just one or two favourite items that had memories attached, and have them displayed in the china cabinet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails