Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 20 October 2023

Growing and blooming

 I did manage more time outside, I dug up some raspberry canes which were growing in the wrong area, they are now in the right place, these should help extend the fruit area, hubby will move the post to cover the growing area. I also planted one of my dogwoods in this back section, this area should fill out next summer. The willow stump is still in the ground, there is no new growth, we are hoping the stuff we used has killed it off, we have no desire to try and dig it out. 

I got hubby to make a little raised block for my pot of Japanese blood grass, it looks much better sat higher. This section is looking good, my rabbits are out of the way, and the railings will stop little people trying to get to the raspberries. My cider jar behind is full of spring bulbs, I can add summer colour next year. 
I still have plenty of colour around the garden, these coleus, which hubby loves are full of colour and last until the frost comes, I have an idea to pop some in the raised bed infront of the greenhouse next spring, they are colourful enough to be seen from the house.  
This tub is outside the greenhouse, and has different plants for different seasons, the begonia I leave in once the blooms drop, which will be at the first frost. Here the frost should not be an issue for weeks yet, so plenty of colour to come. 
I have 3 Fuchsia's around the garden, this one is in my raised bed, I love to see it tumble over the side, below is a Peony and a Forsythia, hopefully they will both do better now the willow tree has gone. Along with the moved dogwood, I am wanting bold colours in this back corner. 

The wet days have helped all the moved plants settle into the ground, I was pleased to get so much done earlier in the week, I still have my bed by the backdoor to dig out, I have a big pot ready for the plants and bulbs, I hope it will look much the same as it does now. My side bed by the garage has been overgrown, which we loved, but the plants have blocked all the bulbs at this time of year, I will leave the hotlips for now and cut them back hard next spring and not let them get so huge. 

We are having conversations regarding the Olive tree, I think it will have a new spot once all the work is done, slightly sheltered, so it should not loose it's leaves so much. Hubby would like an arbour bench for just inside of our gates, I'm not sure, it's something we should decide on once the work is done. 

Storm Babet, the heavy rain gave us no problems, the rain started just after lunch and poured for the rest of the day, we both stayed dry whilst shopping in the morning, we bumped into daughter and Molly and had a coffee together. The winds were really strong, but again no damage, whilst we did have heavy rain, once again along the south coast we missed the worst of the storm. Thursday we met friends at a different garden centre, we don't go there often, so it was nice to have a quick look, some bulbs came home with us. Afterwards we called into the huge Asda, we had a list and mainly stuck to it, a few Christmas items did get put into our trolley, I do blame hubby, if we had a basket there would not have been enough room for everything. 

I walked to Pilates last night, it's about 5 minutes, I did not want to get changed and go, but I did, felt great afterwards, I hate the cold and wet.

12 comments:

  1. We’ve already had a -4C frost in central Scotland this week so all the bedding plants are now gone. Storm Babet has stripped all the neighbourhood trees if their leaves. I love following what you do in your garden and the coleus and begonias are such a lovely pop of colour. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference between north and south is huge, our warmer weather comes sooner and last longer, your spring bulbs are in full bloom whilst ours are often finished. Thanks for your comments, I do love my garden.

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't think we were on the same planet - terrible weather here today in North Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden plans are coming along beautifully. The coleus are so pretty that I feel inspired to try again with them - I've never been successful in the past. We had rain yesterday, but not as much as predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colours in your garden. How big is your garden area? I have been toying with the idea of growing coleus..maybe next year. They are pretty. We still have autumn colours around, but the trees are starting to get bare. Our first frost date averages mid-Sept. , but none yet. It has been coming later over the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 48 foot by 30 foot, that's the growing area, our garden is bigger but the garage, house extension and greenhouse take up space.

      Delete
  5. You still have some nice colour in the garden, I especially like the coleus.

    Have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have finally gotten our garden and my pots and baskets put to bed. Snow should be arriving at some point this week, but will hopefully not stick around for long.

    Love coleus and have grown it for a number of years.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to read about all your gardening efforts, you seem very organised. Still lots of colour, I love the trailing begonia, such a pretty delicate colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peonies and begonia's, both have wonderful blooms.

      Delete
  8. Lovely colour…and especially the Coleus. I haven’t grown those for years and your photo has prompted me to do so as they are quite easy to grow from cuttings, I seem to recall. Thankfully, although we’ve had a lot of rain, we’ve not been too badly affected by the storm. A lovely blog post! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you've still got some colour and some flowers blooming in your garden.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails