Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 5 October 2023

Changing seasons

I love these glass brambles, they catch the light and look very real, it's October, so I am packing away some of my summer silk displays, these I've had a few years, but because I don't leave them out, the joy every year is brilliant. 
This old jug has a crack, so it won't hold water, but it sits in my kitchen and has 4 different silk seasonal displays. My two bigger pumpkins are years old, they take tealights but I don't use any, the tiny one is new this year, I love the colours of leaves as they change, so another display I love. I don't normally do Halloween decorations, but I have knitted some pumpkins for the dining room table.
This book is set in Cork, southern Ireland, we have an Irish daughter-in-law,  so I understand the relaxed style of living. It starts with a murder, a senior partner at a solicitor practice, two investigations, one by the police, the other internal, the plot follows the internal one. The many twists lead to an ending I did not guess, this is her 2nd book, I did enjoy it. Book 32 read this year.
I got more bulbs, I really did not want to dig any out from other parts of the garden, I think these tete-a-tete daffs will look good, I am also hoping these snowdrops will grow. The new flower bed is filling up, so much promise, I need to keep it watered whilst we are having this sunny weather.

I'm really tired, I've not slept well for ages, which is surprising as I'm tired in both mind and body, I always take an age to fall asleep, some nights I can be awake for a couple hours. I'm not cranky yet, I'm trying not to be snappy, it's not hubby's fault. 

Monday I spent the day cleaning, it was needed, it's funny how I enjoy hard work outside but not cleaning inside, everywhere is looking good, so I'm happy again. We did get time to relax later, I cooked Paella for tea, its my dish I always make. Tuesday hubby came with me to a different garden centre with the sign group for our coffee trip, we did have a look around, I resisted all the plants. We popped to The Range on the way home, just a few things I wanted, I stuck to my list, they are in full Christmas, we did not bother to look. I did spend an hour in my greenhouse, moved a few things around, I can now see flowering plants from the house.

Wednesday, our extra top soil arrived, plus the bags of compost from our local shop, I dug out all the plants I wanted to move into the new bed, I also dug out the bed where I will place the rhubarb, here I added drainage and loads of the top soil. With the main flower bed, I added home made compost, and chicken poo pellets, once the bed was full of top soil I replanted everything including most of the spring bulbs. I then sorted a few pots, again with spring bulbs, I will plant tulips in my cucumber pot, I can use a big potato bag, which happily fits inside the pot, which will save me digging them out and I can reuse them next year.

6 comments:

  1. You have been working hard! The pumpkins are lovely, I really like them. I love looking around garden centres, it's one of my favourite things to do, just to browse not necessarily to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brambles look so realistic and very pretty. It sounds as though you will have lovely displays in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your displays - I still have the tiny pumpkins my daughter had on the tables at her wedding which was in November in 2008. I must get down to putting some bulbs in when we get home. I have stopped putting bulbs in the cottage garden in Scotland as the rabbits dig them up over winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The brambles look so pretty and great that you can bring them out each year to display again. I might give the knitted pumpkins a go myself. Lots of people seem to have made them this year.
    I hope your Amaryllis does well this year. I replanted mine yesterday.
    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your display with the pumpkins looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your autumnal display, especially the glass brambles.It's nice to mark the changing seasons with your decor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails