Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 18 January 2021

1st finish

I love these socks, main colour knitted using Head over heals 4ply by Stylecraft, which is 75% wool, so perfect for socks. The navy is Schachenmayr, Regina a German yarn, again 75% wool, which I use most often for socks. 
I am super proud of the matching colours, before I started knitting the 1st sock I took a photo of the yarn ball, so I could try and match the start point on the 2nd sock, it worked. 
My Amaryllis bulbs, for a few weeks I thought they were not going to grow, the white blooms are not so dramatic against our pale walls, but the flowers are impressive, the 2nd bulb, should have red/pink blooms. 
Another great book, a very different story, a death, and the back story, 2nd library choice book this month, 4th book this year. 
Hubby made an apple crumble cake, it's huge but lovely, a moist apple cake with a crisp crumble topping, brilliant with custard, and great on its own. It took a lot of work and hubby would not make it again for just 2 of us, but a good family day cake or dessert. 
Sunday was a really sunny day, I spent a bit of time outside, I moved my pots around, I have loads of spring bulbs coming through, now I can see the pots from inside. The greenhouse was warm inside, the position is perfect to get all the winter sun. 
The socks are a gift, it's my 1st big 'be kind' of the year, I plan to do many more. I can show them on here because the person does not follow my blog. I am also on Instagram, which I love, one follower of mine, often make lovely comments on my knitting projects. In December she commented, she loved hand made socks but can't knit, and why are they so expensive to purchase, so an idea formed. These are knitted from my stash, using a yarn which would probably sit there for ages, the yarn was part of a gift to me, and I don't wear much pink, so perfect solution. The navy is one of many colours I have in this yarn, I love to make striped socks, I find the stripes much quicker to count and make matching sized socks. I did ask the lady for her shoe size and said I would be making her a pair, but she has no idea how they are going to look. I prefer the lighter pink shades, my 1st sock which I manged to ruin, was the darker pink section of the yarn. 
We had another stay at home weekend, reading most of the time, it has been cold, wet on Saturday, sadly no snow, but we rarely see snow here. Sunday we walked to the local park, hubby is still wearing his boot, but is mobile enough for a short walk, I did some jobs outside, enjoying the sunshine wrapped up from the cold. 
It is so dark most days, I have candles most nights, they fill corners with dancing flames, along with a few coloured tiny lights. January is the worse month of the year, it's dull, cold and often wet and it just lasts forever. 
Thank you for you comments on my last post, it has been a few stressful weeks, hiding tears from daughter and SIL, but with hope, which we always need. It's pure joy for us, we thought our families were all complete, no more babies, and now the thrill of one more baby. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure your friend will love her socks, perhaps they will even inspire her to learn to knit, you never know. Our snow has gone now, it rained overnight and we've got warmer temperatures, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are lovely the navy and pink go so nicely together. Yes January is a long dreary month, I went out for the first time in a week today it's just been so cold. I love the look of that cake, I could just eat a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yarn matching is incredible, flippin fantastic and I love them. It's been great spiritwise to see a little sunshine, and the cake sounds like a dessert they used to serve at a pub we used to ho too a long time ago. It came with a small jug of caramel sauce and a jug of custard it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic news on your last post. Congratulations! Time to get started on another baby blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those socks look great, I do like the colours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails