Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 27 January 2021

Thinking ahead.

This book from the library choice I did not think my taste, but I decided I would have a read, and I am so glad I did, the writing style is beautiful, I enjoyed the story, set in Victorian times, but with modern feeling. Book 5 this year. 
I had to pop to Specksavers, I had broken the arm on a pair of reading glasses, I have not been to town since late November last year. I naughtily popped into Wilkinson's, hoping they would have there summer range of flowers out, they did and I got almost everything I wanted, no extras, kept to my shopping list. These have already got their space in the garden. 
My jumper is growing, we have so much time, which I fill with knitting and reading, often in the evenings the TV is switched off, I can't stand it on with the rubbish often on, I never watch soaps. 
I decided to work on the sleeves, both are knitted in way where there is no sewing up to do, I will have loads of ends to stitch in, this jumper design and pattern is going to be one I use again. I want the jumper to be long, so by doing the sleeves first I can then measure the length to match my sleeves. I have a quirky twist for the sleeves, just to make it my own. 
I could not get one pack of flowers, so I will look online and get them, the chocolate cosmos has been planted in a blue pot saved from last year for them, they are tender and the pot later in the year will go into the greenhouse. The begonias will go in the tall chimney which is being moved to the corner of the flower bed, at the moment the chimney is empty. The rest of the flowers are space fillers and are plants which survive in our clay soil, I am itching to be outside and starting to grow things, but it's still a bit early. We did spend an hour outside moving some brackets, these are not for hanging baskets (which I have never liked or grown), I have a few quirky items to hang. 

This is always the hardest time of year for me, I want to do so much outside, the days are beginning to get lighter for longer, we have sunny cold days, from inside it feels as if spring should be here, so many bulbs are showing, soon we will have beautiful blooms. I need to wait, it's just too early, March has a habit of being a horrible month, so I wait. I am lucky I can plant things in the green house throughout February, give them a boost start before popping them in the garden. On the plus side we are not able to visit garden centres, so all the temptation is out of reach, I have most of what I need here, so back to knitting and reading another 6 weeks of lockdown, plenty time to relax and do enjoyable things. 

I have been knitting my jumper whilst wearing another of my handmade jumpers and socks, and using my warm handmade lap blanket, I'm feeling snug and warm and happy, we are trying not to have the heating on all day, If I'm cold I do also have a really warm long Aran cardigan I made years ago, I never wear it outside, but it's perfect for inside.

6 comments:

  1. Nice selection of colourful plants for the garden, it's still far too wet to even think of doing anything in ours at the moment. You are doing great on your jumper, it's an interesting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some really interesting documentaries on TV lately and I've been enjoying those. I don't like soaps either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring seems a long way off here at the moment, we've had torrential rain all through the night and it's still continuing. I feel so sorry for those who have experienced flooding. You've chosen a nice selection of plants, it's good that you can get things started off to get an early display, it's far too early here though, our temperatures are still much too cold. It's hard to hold back sometimes when you're raring to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find that a title of a book can put me off and then found that it was interesting after all.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely selection of seeds I bough quite a few packs at the end of the season sales last year. this awful weather is depressing it's raining again today here. I agree TV is rubbish at the moment and I do the same in the evening's I have my pile of crochet blankets to choose from and I can't wait to finish my knee high socks to wear too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I haven't ventured into town since before Christmas. I will have to go at some point. I'm sewing my cardigan up but I've noticed a distinct colour difference in a couple of balls I received. It's too late to do anything now but its knocked the wind out of my sails a bit. Love Victorian history and novels written about that era. Love your jumper, you are really clever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails