Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 6 January 2021

Be kind

I'm taking kindness into 2021, myself and my family had recent unexpected acts of kindness, which lifts the spirit, so my overriding theme this year is to be kinder, (PS I'm not a mean person), so it should be easy to do. 
These wonderful items were sent to me by Jo from Through the keyhole, 12 days of Christmas, a parcel to open until 12th night. The mini yarns are so beautiful, can't wait to knit them into squares for my blanket, plus an extra treat each day. 
I saw on Facebook a local lady asking about growing pineapple plants, so I offered the small plant below, it's one of the babies from the plant I purchased last year. I have 2 other plants which are enough for me. 
I have more plants waiting to go to new homes, one for a neighbour at the other end of our street, we often say hello, and I love her garden, like me she has a few gaps, and I had a spare passion flower. I also have 3 low maintenance plants for my brothers garden, hopefully I can plant them later this year. 

I am a helpful person, friends, neighbours know I will always help, lifts to appointments, looking after children for a couple of hours, some sewing, anything they need, it's what makes the world a better place. I did more in the run up to Christmas, which was easier, gifting money to local charities and food banks, again reasonably simple, I didn't spend much on crafting, so I have a little more spare cash. I joined our local Facebook pages, which helps focus on local needs, and it's rewarding to see so many people helping out. We have not had any snow but loads of icy mornings and already people are checking to see if anyone is struggling. I often speak about our village, but we are not a traditional country village, on the edge of a big town, very close to Portsmouth City, the houses just run into each different place, so driving through it hard to know where the village starts and ends, but everyone tries to keep the village feel.

Both our Covid tests came back negative which was a relief, we would now like to rid ourselves if these bad colds, it's been over a week. We still have no plans to go out, it's warm and safe at home. With the new lockdown in place, we are not able to do much, we will stay local in our village and once a month use a Asda home delivery. We can still support daughter, Will and George, those rules are still in place, but Will still goes to preschool nursery twice a week, they are a good nursey and act quickly to any reports of Covid, we just have to take extra care. 

My weight loss is due to resume, I put a few pounds back on in December, I'm not worried, I now am focusing on losing a stone this spring, soon hubby will be able to go on walks again, so the exercise will help. My BMI last January was 29.6, on Monday it was down to 26.9, a very pleasing reduction. Most of our Christmas goodies are gone, we did not buy so much and have not missed the chocolate feast. The last of the cake was finished, we both agreed it was a good bake this year, strange as I use the same recipe, cake tin and oven each year. We have started baking cakes for our mid morning treat, we enjoyed having a simple treat each day and being homemade it's not full of sugar. 

11 comments:

  1. What a relief your Covid tests came back negative. I wish our Christmas goodies were nearly gone but I will not waste them. I think everyone thinks about losing some weight in January, I'm sure you'll succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased you enjoyed opening up your little parcels on each of the twelve days of Christmas, I hope you enjoy using each of the yarns. I think a little kindness goes a long way, I know how I feel myself so it's always nice to pass a little kindness on to someone else and hopefully brighten up their day a little. I'm pleased to hear that your tests came back negative. It's a worry now with any illness, our first thoughts turn to covid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed a kind person. Jack and I are fighting colds this week. We need them gone by next week since Jack has a procedure then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get over your colds soon, and so glad it is not Covid. Imagine how wonderful the world would be if everyone practiced a little more kindness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have very kind friends, they have helped me a lot since my dad and husband passed away. I keep trying to think of ideas to replay their kindness to me. You can only make so many cakes.......

    JUlie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knit socks as a thank you, only one person was not impressed, but I did have to let myself enjoy others kindness, most people help and are kind because they love you or they are nice.

      Delete
  6. My head isn't in the right place but I will takle the Christmas gain by spring.You are indeed a very kind, generous person. The yarn does look great.Good news re Covid test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad your covid tests were negative and hope your colds go. Being kind is always a good thing and it doesn't take much most of the time. At the moment lots of people are suffering mentally and may speak to us unpleasantly. A kind answer may be the very thing they need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear the tests were negative. Hope you get rid of your colds very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased to read the tests were negative.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes being more patient with someone, can mean the world to them. As you never know what they're going through. So being kind, can take so many shapes and forms. Like you, when we did our Christmas shopping, we also filled a couple of bags with food, for a local charity. In all honestly, it was my favourite part of the whole Christmas shopping ordeal, lol. Take care in 2021.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails