Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 6 July 2020

At the bottom of my garden.

We removed the arch, already there is so much light in this area, we will remove the perplex from the fence, it was there as a back to my original lean too greenhouses, as seen in this post. You can see my 2 tomato plants, which means they get more sunlight. 
I managed to dig out (with hubby's help) the passion flower shrub, I cut back most of the top growth as it was wrapped around the arch, I am not worried as the roots were great and this is a fast growing plant. I also dug out a clematis which had never grown strong, both are in my raised bed, in hope they will grow and fill the fence here at the bottom side of the garden. I have also taken 3 honeysuckle cuttings (after watching Carol on Gardeners World on Friday) in hope to get a plant to grow, this area could be very colourful. I do have other plans for the front of this raised bed, but they are for next year. 
In the corner I was able to remove the smaller square chimney, which was hidden and replace it with the matching taller chimney, both are now planted with begonias, and have enough height for the plants in front to look good. I have cuttings from the English lavender growing in hope to have a second plant on the left of this bed, not much grows in this section the ground is heavy clay. 
The square chimney is at the end of the raspberry canes, this geranium was in the bigger chimney here, I will later this week cut it back it has become straggly.  
Out side my shed, I have planted one of my new plants, and I have moved this triple planter away from the back corner, it can be seen now from the garden, my sunflower plant is growing but still not big enough to go into the ground. 
This spot along the fence outside my greenhouse is really pleasing, the triple acer which I have just popped into the bigger pot is doing well here, it's now full of flowers and colour, as before it was a messy corner.  
Looking towards the garden and house, this is along the steps to the back section, I have a Belfast sink next to my big acer, and a yew growing in the blue pot, the wall it is next to is the garage. 
I purchased this stand a few years ago, I have the idea to plant it with french marigolds, which looked pretty as seen in this post, but they only looked good for a couple of weeks, so I found another use for this, I do like pebbles around the garden, these came from the dried riverbed I removed from the greenhouse. At some point these will all be used and then I will have to find a new use for it. 
My rain chain which holds water I popped under the Magnolia tree, the small birds love using it, I always ensure there is clean water in each flower. I do have a bird bath here as well, just a plant pot saucer filled with water. We also have another water feeder near the back of the garden.
This rain chain, which is watering cans allow the rain to run through, the cans have no bottoms. 
I am really liking the garden without the arch, when we first put it up we had a climbing rose, which was always green but only ever a few flowers, it grew so fast I am sure it must have been a rambler, we took the rose away, and then in 2019 I added the passion flower, it was great, but the sweet peas I planted every year in the raised bed never grew, so the arch was never balanced. We can now see the whole of the greenhouse, it's does look much lighter, we did agree we would purchase another arch if we missed it, but I don't think that will happen, I am really pleased how the bottom of the garden looks. We did the work on Friday afternoon and I watered in everything, and was pleased as it rained through the night and on Saturday, allowing the plants to have a good drink. 
No other outside work has been done, we have had the most blustery few days, it's felt more like a warm autumn rather than summer, we sit and watch all our plants thrashing about, luckily nothing is being damaged, but I'm sure it can't be doing any good.

Will enjoyed being back at nursery, even if it has changed for him, he did not want to go, but mummy received photo's 10 minutes after she left him, he was happily playing with friends. Saturday we walked to the village and had an early lunch in our local Bistro, we were one of the 1st customers, it was great to be doing something normal, as said before I am happy to be in our village. 
Today daughter is bringing Will and George for the day, we have blue skies, so hopefully we will be in the garden, I want Will to help me pick blueberries and blackcurrants and check the raspberries. I also want him to see the tomatoes and cucumber growing on their plants. 

I have done some crafting, I will post photo's in my next post,  and I've started another book, reading from my kindle.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so satisfying when the garden comes together and looks great? It makes all your hard work worth while :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails