Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Wigwam

One large bed sheet, some patchwork
Dawn made the pocket for this cushion
All set out
Add one grandson



I think Will loves his reading wigwam, he went straight to play in it, using a bed sheet for the body allows the light in. The patchwork base matched the cot quilt I made him (the wigwam is going in his bedroom). Daughter loved the airplane fabric, so I made a cushion with some, Will's bedroom is shades of grey.
I made the square of patchwork for the base 1st, I also cut a square from the bedsheet for the underside. I used the poles to get straight lines for the sides, I cut three the same, each two inches wider than the base, giving me seam allowance. To join the sides I used French seams, which I made much wider, so I could slide the poles in, keeping everything safe. I then stitched the sides to the base.
I layered the plain grey bottom, then the wigwam, finally the patchwork top, I pinned all together ensuring I have the corners neat and tidy, I stitched around the sides and the back, leaving the front opened to be able to turn it all the right way. I then topped stitched the layers from the inside to stop them moving, I finally stitched the front opening neatly. This method ensured the poles could not be removed from the bottom. The poles were inserted and the top seams covered with a band hand sewn. The biggest issue we had was holding the poles together, in almost every design they showed wooden poles with holes drilled through and the poles tied with rope, we used plastic covered metal post as used in gardens, they were thinner and much stronger, in the end a strong cable tie was used.
We decided we did not want the front sections to meet in the middle, they would be better smaller so Will could get in and out.

6 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, it's no surprise he likes it! What a lucky, lovely lad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job Marlene, such a good idea and it looks wonderful, he'll have so much fun using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite brilliant! It will be a den, a cave, a spaceship, goodness knows what else! Of course, given how quickly children grow, you might as well start on the larger Version.2.0 now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great job you've made of it, it's no wonder that it's a big hit. And look at Will, isn't he growing up? I've just caught up on your last post, it looks like you all had a wonderful weekend celebrating Will's birthday, I don't know where the time goes. His cake is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous gift for Will, you did a superb job making the wigwam and Will obviously approves of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever nanny you are,bits fabulous. I'm sure he is going to get many years of enjoyment out of it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails