Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 31 August 2017

Reflections

My spending in August was below my allotted spend
I am now in credit on last year by £74.04
I am not trying to save money on last year, most of the saving are coming from the fact I am not doing any craft, and I am reading book loaned from our local library. Which for me is a triple bonus, firstly I am not paying for the book, secondly saving the resources of the production of the book, thirdly I am reading new to me authors.
My first month of retirement has been a complete joy, I have done nothing big or exciting, but better I have relaxed, settled into a slower pace having more time to enjoy each thing I do.
Our garden is looking great, yesterday, I took cuttings from a few plants I have a neighbour who loves one of my fuchsias, I hope to have a plant for her next spring, plus a few spare ones.
The larger jobs in our camper van is sorted, hubby had on big task to sort to make a bit more space, I have changed the kitchen items around, it now looks less cluttered, we are away again later in September. I am also making all the curtains, photo's next time.
We have spent loads of time with Will, getting to know this lovely little man, and missing our other grandsons like mad.
I am not looking to promise any of my time for volunteering as yet. I will do something, but I don't want to jump into anything too quickly and maybe regret it later.
I am hoping to do a course at our local community center, I fancy water colours, after having a taster half day earlier in the year, but I will look at booking for the following term starting in the new year.
Our household had a more expensive month in August, we had not planned to purchase shoes, plus a couple of our more expensive food items were on special, and we always bulk buy when the price is right.  The important issue was we did not over spend. So I'm happy all round with August.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to take a tip out of your book for next year and keep a track on my spending. I do tend to spend a little too much on crafty things instead of using what I have on hand. I'm ok on the food shopping now as I have only been using cash this year and that's worked out way better than using my debit card every time.
    Glad you have enjoyed your first month of retirement, I think you are right not to jump into any volunteering just yet, enjoy your new found freedom for a while first, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're enjoying retirement. I think you're doing the right thing working out how you'd like to spend your time before rushing in, it's nice after working all these years to just sit back and relax for a while before getting busy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am almost a year into retirement and will not be volunteering for anything until I have done the things I want to. I think you have to enjoy the extra time you have it gets filled quickly without volunteering for anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying your retirement, you are very wise to take things slowly and not volunteer for anything to start with. I slowly reduced my hours and found other things to do and probably am involved in too many things now although I do enjoy it! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marlene, I thought I had your blog in Feedly but haven't been seeing any updates ... looks like I have a lot to catch up with. Thanks for visiting Bag End, and take care. J, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find writing down all the receipts definitely keeps control of our spending. Well done you on being up on last year. Fabric buying is my weakness but I've been much better this year at resisting temptation! So glad retirement is proving beneficial- I think you're very wise to spend some time relaxing and considering options. It's a good place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been retired for many years. you are wise to take your time deciding what to do. Time with will is so precious. We had our Caleb nearby from 3 months to 4 years. I so happily look back on that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you've had a relaxing beginning to your retirement, Marlene. I found too that I saved a lot of money by borrowing books from the library instead of purchasing whatever I wanted to read. I love going in to the library too, I read the newspapers there a few times a week too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you've enjoyed your first month of freedom, we're now in month 4 and I think I am "just" getting used to it!

    I also track every penny that is spent, I find it helps greatly in preventing Himself from loading things into the supermarket trolley that either we don't need at all, or can wait for until they're on offer :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're enjoying the slower pace that retirement can bring and enjoying the simple pleasures!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails