Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 26 October 2024

Grey days,

I have done my walk around the garden, it's too wet to do anything outside, this acer is looking good, it has alot of wind damage, but still the autumnal colours are shinning, this small tree gives us so much. 
My trio of acers have already started to lose their leaves, still enough colour to enjoy, this little spot works hard almost all of the year, the azalea below stays green all year. 
I don't often show this corner, I have a rose growing in the gap between the fence and the garage, in front is my pomegranate plant, it's leaves are turning colour and soon will drop, this was grown from a pip many years ago. I've never had a fruit, which is OK as I love the plant.
My begonias in the greenhouse are blooming again, I adore this plant, the ones in the black pot by my shed are still blooming, which they will do until the frost gets to them.  
I popped my pepper plant into the plastic greenhouse inside my big glass greenhouse, and in the past week more peppers are growing, I am hoping I get these to a size worth harvesting, I also have some herbs growing well.

I do love to see the trees without leaves, I love their shape, the trunks different colours and textures, our Magnolia becomes a perch for tiny birds going to the feeders, the different heights gives interest all through the cooler months. Now it's all about collecting the leaves to make my own mulch, I have used mine made last year on my veg beds.

I think I may have post holiday blues, or grey as the sky every day, we haven't done much, the laundry is done, we did a big shop at Lidl, the heating is now on everyday. The rain is back, not heavy but enough to keep me out of the garden, I do have a few jobs to do, I hope to get a dry morning sometime soon. On the positive side, I did not put on any weight when away, we averaged over 10,000 steps everyday, something we fail to do when home. 

We did not bring much back from Spain, just a few treats which we can't get here, I was taken to the biggest fabric shop I have ever seen, packed with materials over two huge floors, and again to the round square, where there are haberdashery stalls packed with everything you could wish for. 


7 comments:

  1. It's hard to adjust from bright, sunny weather to grey, dismal England. Your acers are lovely. They just won't grow in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be difficult to come back to dull weather after all that gorgeous sunshine and warm. At least you have the memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not always easy to re-adjust to being back home.
    I do think your Acer's look good.
    Wishing you a happy Sunday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been very lucky that last week as the days have been sunny if cold. Frost has pretty much caused all the leaves to drop from most trees. I planted a couple of lemon seeds 4 years ago, never a blossom or fruit, but I love the trees and the leaves smell wonderfully. I understand your love of the tree planted from a pip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acers are so pretty aren't they. I just love their colour. Stunning!
    I enjoyed seeing the photographs of your trip. It looked wonderful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be lost for things to do if I didn't have my polytunnel on horrible wet and windy days like last Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bookworm and love craft, so I can always find things to do.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails