Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 27 September 2024

Spooky month.

 So we are nearing October or Spooky month as Will always called Halloween, I've got a few more bits this year, I'm enjoying seeing these tiny pumpkins, the first display in the corner of our sitting room. The vase is in the kitchen, slightly more autumnal vibes, both the China pumpkins are years old. These are out very early this year, no reason, other than I fancied something different.

I've made my own mincemeat, a lady I follow on Instagram shared her trusted slow cooker recipe, the house smelt divine for hours, way after the cooking time. Hubby who does all the baking will make mince pies. We got a pack of mince pies from Lidl, which were disgusting, much nicer to have home made ones. The smaller pot is for my friend who is always giving us jams and chutneys.
Hubby made the first batch of mincepies, I made some bacon and cheese wraps, both made with purchased puff pastry, I needed to use a pack of defrosted bacon, both tasted great. We both agreed the mincemeat was lovely, so I plan to make my own from now on.
I'm doing well on this lap blanket in my favourite Tunisian crochet, it's a simple stitch and design, I am using Emu Supreme double knit, I purchased a kit to make a Christmas blanket last year, which I only partially made as I was not enjoying the process. This is not for our use, hubby's group will have a raffle nearer to Christmas, so I hope to have this finished and donated, they fundraise for our local Portsmouth Downs Syndrome charity.
We popped to The Range, Dave , Northsider blogger, suggested I plant these onions, to grow over winter, a couple of other packs of bulbs came home with me, we had a look around the store, Christmas is in full show, we walked past everything, so a cheap trip. It is always lovely to see Wilko brand, which was on items all around the shop, I've always trusted their seed and bulbs.


Wednesday was market day in the village, we popped down, the plant guy was there, much smaller stand these days, nothing interesting, other than he was selling bare root wallflowers, wrapped in newspaper, I don't like wallflowers, but so pleased to see no pots, selling them just how our parents would have purchased them. Later the heavy rain came back, it was dark most of the afternoon, I spent my time between crochet and reading. 

Thursday was another day at home, more housework, we are still finding dust, it gets everywhere, hubby hopes to start painting next week, we popped to B&Q and got the wood stain for the stairs, everything is now ready for painting. Hubby got the fine mesh for the front of my huge bug house, hopefully we can finish it next week.

We have a weekend off, having some fun, I will tell you more in another post, we booked a very different experience for us, it's always good to try something new.

2 comments:

  1. The Range and Lidl are two of my inexpensive garden centres I buy stuff from. Those bulbs will give so much joy in winter and spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your weekend. It's good to do something different.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails