Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 29 July 2024

More books

 This is a stand alone book, she has written a few, I enjoyed this very different story, published in 1992, this is one of her earliest books. This is her first non medical book I have read, the cover almost put me off, Book 42 read this year.
Set in a street, a young girl goes missing, the story unfolds and neighbours are dragged in, jealousy, fear and distrust is everywhere, what did happen, this is the second book I have read by this author, she does write a good story. Book 43 read this year. 
Where to start, a new author to me, a story about one woman, her strange life, after the death of her father she starts to expand her life, she has unknown family who come into her new life, this is the story of growth and impact. I could not put it down. Book 44 read this year.
I love this author, this is an old book, I had not realised I had missed this title, a chilling tail of men who felt left behind, they want equality and beyond, they will fight for it. How quickly can simple things can make you feel uncomfortable, what started it, what do they want. Book 45 read this year.
Her husband jumped to his death infront of her, now she is facing his murder charge? the story has three timelines, which I'm not normally a fan, these were done well, no confusion, what's the connection. A clever story line which left me guessing until very near the end, when everything was revealed, I really like this author. Book 46 read this year.
Another new author for me, it was a slow start, which I struggled with, but I'm glad I kept with it, clever plot, mixing old and new case, what you believe is your truth. Book 47 read this year.
I popped into a big garden centre where most of their seeds were half price, so this lot came home with me, seeds are not cheap anymore, I have been collecting seed heads from my own plants this year, in hope to save some pennies next year. All have these have dates well into 2026. I still require some more veg seeds, not too many.


We rarely turn on TV in evenings, preferring to read listening to music, after busy days, it's good to have peaceful evenings, we both find we sleep much better. I have been to our library and got another four books, they should last just over a week. We are watching The Olympics, not everything, selecting sports we think are good to watch, with a good selection on iplayer. Sadly not much tennis on our TV, which is such a disappointment, watched the Murry/Evans match  they were lucky to go through.

The sunshine is perfect, we are outside most of the day, our garden was full of laughter on Saturday, Will, George and Molly played outside for hours, daughter and I sat and chatted.

8 comments:

  1. It's worth pre germinating old seeds on damp paper towels in plastic Tupperware boxes like I did on my blog with the parsnips. That way you know that they are still alive and fertile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have dates into 2026, I am going to sow my seeds this year in a roll, which is very popular with people I follow on Instagram, saving space and allowing the roots to grow deep. I will do a post next spring.

      Delete
  2. I was shocked to find how expensive seeds are now. Saving your own makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful summer reading...
    I also watch some sports at the Olympics... we have a streaming service for the Olympics and so I can click on all the sports competitions individually and also rewind back and forth... it's very convenient and there are no advertisements.
    Good luck to you... summer is so beautiful. Exactly, you said it... being outside is the best thing.
    When it comes to my flowers, I self-sow a lot in my garden... and I also collect seeds from my blooms to give as gifts to friends.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeds can be so expensive so any that can be saved from plants when they have finished flowering is a great saving. Good idea to pick up reduced price packet as well.
    Your book reading is going well, Marlene.
    Happy reading, gardening and fun in the sun this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing so well with the books you read. It's nice that you share the titles it gives others ideas!

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you read a lot of books this month. The Liz Nugent book really appeals to me. I will try to look out for it. I did a little reading on the train today which I enjoyed as I like the book that I'm currently reading. I don't read nearly as much as I used to though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange Sally Diamond sounds like something I'd enjoy, I shall look out for that. I remember Wyevale selling off their seeds for just 50p per pack when we had the allotment, their sale saved us a fortune each year. Seeds are very expensive these days, I don't buy many at all now, I usually buy small plants rather than grow from seed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails