Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 17 March 2024

Joy

Our local village pet shop sells gardening items, including strips of plants, in previous years I have purchased bedding plants. I got 8 broccoli plants for £1.15, I don't eat broccoli, hubby loves it, I have planted 6 in the garden and these 2 in pots in greenhouse, just in case any fail outside. 
I wanted ground cover for the front if the rhubarb bed, these 3 should work well, I am so pleased as I was planting these 3, I noticed new growth on the gooseberry plant, I was not sure if it would grow back. I'm now hopeful it has survived and we might get a small harvest this summer.
I struggle to grow daisies in our clay soil, I got a new plant last year, I'm not sure if it will grow back, I saw this Aster and thought this would look good, I have grown Asters before, for now it's in the greenhouse, until its grown more.
I have been trying to design a frame for the raspberries, it needs to be tall and strong, we toyed with a wooden structure, but was worried digging in the uprights would damage some of my plants. Hubby saw these obelisk and we have decided they will work, one each end if raspberry patch, I will use string to join both and to make a structure the plants can grow up.

My tomato and cucumber seeds are now seedlings, they are in small pots, which means I don't need to do anything with them yet. I have flower seeds sown, it's feeling good, so much promise. I have loads more to start, exciting times. I've also worked out where everything will go this year.

It's been drier again, still having some rain, but not days rained out, I am holding off sowing anymore seeds for a week, we have a busy few days coming up and I won't be able to water and care for much, so better to wait. I am working on the wildlife pond, the liner has settled and the lower section is full of water, I do need to tidy the edges, I would like more bigger pieces of slate, which hopefully I can get in the coming days. Once it a bit warmer I will get plants for in the pond.

Did you see on TV news, a study says we should love slugs and snails, and allow them to live in our garden, they are part of the food chain and eco system, sorry, what, nope, I can't love either.

The electrical goods arrived and are working well, the fridge freezer is the same size as our old one, we have sorted all the food back inside, nothing out of date or opened too long. The cooker is also the same design with a gas hob and electric grill and ovens, so not much difference in it's use, the top is moulded in one piece, which means no joins which are a so and so to clean.  We did a shop at Lidl, so the freezer is now almost full, we also got a few Easter bits, as daughter, SIL and children will be here Easter Sunday for lunch and Easter egg hunt. 

6 comments:

  1. The obelisks look very attractive and will do the job perfectly.
    It's always pleasing to find bargains and small businesses often have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often buy vegetable starter plants from a local shop. Their tomatoes and sweetcorn tend to be especially good and grow into strong plants that we harvest a lot of food from. We find it easier these days than growing everything from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the obelisks you've bought.
    It sounds that you are getting organised for Easter, and it will soon be here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make slug pubs out of dishes and takeaway plastic tubs filled with cheap beer or fizzy pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea for raspberry plant supports. Slugs and snails are not my favourite creatures either but the frogs in our pond seem to keep them in check. Hopefully your pond will attract frogs and keep the unwanted molluscs away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is going to be just beautiful. You got a great deal on the broccoli plants.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails