Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 25 March 2024

Gardening

 I have been working in the back section of our garden, firstly I sorted all the soil needed for my carrots and my tomato plants, these are all in the greenhouse to help warm the soil up, hopefully I can plant a bit early. The red tub has carrot seedling growing, the orange bucket are for the next sowing, there is coir mixed in to make the soil lighter.
The walk way in front of the greenhouse by the fence is now sorted, the bag of top soil has been used and the bag washed and packed away, in the two green bags are my seed potatoes, one bag is about 3 to 4 weeks further along. The brown pot is my little lemon clematis and in the green tub is my cranberry plant, the grey pot behind has my mock orange plant in, which I am hoping will get huge this year, it's the only permanent pot in this space. 
Again I am showing you this pot, different blooms, I'm so pleased, the hellebore is huge, and the flowers are getting darker. Next to this which is not in my photo is my gooseberry bush, loads of lovely green shoots, and our 1st blueberry bush has loads of flowers, the 2nd bush is a later cropping one. The rhubarb is huge, but we can't pull any in this it's first year.  
I dug out my pond, and some of the plants behind, the peony is in hubby's front garden, it is perfect for a spot he had, and saved purchasing another plant. I have made the pond wider, and popped loads of little plants along the edge, I had 3 different grasses I used, giving loads of cover for any wildlife, along with the huge agapanthus, which will grow away from the pond. I need to line the sides of my pond, with flat long pebbles or slate, to hide the plastic, and now I can get a few plants for inside the water, this is still small with the bigger bowl sat just above. 

Sunday was a perfect day, dry and sunny, we went outside at 11am and stayed out until just after 4pm, we had lunch in the garden, a perfect day to get up-to-date with our task. We got the table and chairs out, hubby has refreshed the bench and chairs, I'm not sure what he will do with the table, our furniture only needs to last us this year, I have not as yet uncovered our Olive tree, I aim to leave the cover on for a couple more weeks.  

I have sown runner beans, leeks, loads of french marigolds, calendula and snapdragons, all in the greenhouse, I still have loads more to sow, but it's a good start, I hope to be outside in the greenhouse this week, it does not matter if it's raining. Most of the veg seeds will be sown straight into the ground, I have covers on my second raised bed, the soil should be nice and warm. Our broad-beans are full of flowers, but something has ate my broccoli plants, I will get another tray and pot them on and put them out once they are much bigger. I have found a huge plastic tub, so I think I am going to get some pea plants and grow up a wigwam, I have a perfect spot for them. 

It feels so good to be outside, dirty hands, starting things to grow, I am feeling so much better and a day gardening is always a tonic for me, dear hubby did loads of bits, and has done more to my huge bug house he is making. Most of my jobs can't be seen from the house, but it does feel so good to have them done, my shower felt fantastic, I normally watch how much water i use, but for once I stayed much longer. 

This morning is wet, heavy rain overnight,  its cooler and dull, so after a quick walk to the village, a day inside, maybe some crafting time this week.

7 comments:

  1. We've had some nice weather to get out in the garden over the weekend but we're back to rain again too with more in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hellebore looks wonderful. You have been very busy in the garden and you will enjoy the fruits of your labours later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that getting out in the garden is very therapeutic. I can't wait to get our garden renovation finished, so that we can enjoy the space more. It's been a long time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It does feel so good to get outside and get hands back in the soil and start the new season of growth. Happy gardening when you can get out there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see green shoots emerging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have been very busy in the garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one very busy gardener. Everything is going to be just lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails