Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 14 June 2020

Potty gardener

I love my pots, I am always showing them on here, I even did a post about them back in 2018, seen here, I did say I would cut back on the number of pots I have, and promised hubby I would not litter the new decking with pots, Well.............
Decking is clear only 3 pots, 2 along the fence are placed for the lemon smells near our table, and Kirk sits under the other table. Both tables have a flowering plant pot and there is a pot in the corner with yew in, but that's on the ground not on the decking. The chicken pot above is on the shelf along by our neighbours fence, seen here.
So how many pots do I have? 
Hubby will say too many, but I do love growing in pots, there are 2 pots in the front garden but these are hubby's so I'm not adding them into my count. 
  • 6 pots along the side of the house, 3 oblong matching planted with flowers, 2 planted with eucalyptus by front door and 1 planted with shrubs by dustbins. 
  • 9 pots at house end of garden, 3 on decking, 1 in corner next to house, 2 planted with Olives, 2 planted with flowers on table, and my chicken, which was a watering can. 
  • 19 in middle lawn area, 4 pots have fruit bushes in, 5 pots have plants grown from my seeds and pips, 2 have herbs in, 8 planted with flowers.
  • 4 chimney pots, 3 are planted with flowers. 
  • 22 in back section, 1 planted with Acer, 3 planted with Hosta's, 8 planted with spring bulbs and flowers, 3 planted with mixed plants, 1 succulent tower (3 pots high), 2 planted with saplings, the last 2 big pots are empty, but I would like more fruit in these. 

I am not counting in my greenhouse, almost everything in there is in a clay pot or a pretty kitchen pot, that's a lot of pots, most of them are not too big,  but I do have loads of time on my hands, to care for them. The back section up by my greenhouse is often a holding spot, the spring pots stay here most of the year and are popped closer to the house when they start to grow. 

I do love the bright blue glazed pots and have a few around the garden, most of the outside pots are much bigger, they have their permanent place and add height to my tiny spaces. All my other pots are years old, they are not plastic, I do like natural pots, I do have one hosta in a copper coal bucket, which helps stop the slugs. 

The fruits, Olive's and the pots on the decking are all plastic, all these pots are huge, so I use the lighter plastic, I don't move them often they are all heavy. The large Olive pot has a water system in it's base and also has wheels, we would not be able to move it, in winter we can wrap it and pop in down the side of the garage to keep it out of the wind. 

My pips and seed plants and the smaller Olive will later in the year go back inside my greenhouse, I have planned space for them inside. All flowering pots get 2 planting per year summer and winter, the rest stay in place all through the year. 

I do love my pots, I have a trio of Acer plants due, and guess what no pot to plant them in, oh well better start looking.

Lastly for honesty, I have 16 plants in pots inside the house, some are tiny pots with nasties in the bathroom, up to a big pot with my coffee plants in in the sitting room. 

9 comments:

  1. Those pictures are lovely. You must spend a lot of time watering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't water every day, preferring to give a good soak every couple of days. The nasties in the greenhouse is only once a month. I do find watering relaxing when using the hose, not such fun with a can.

      Delete
  2. I love pots as well, not sure how many I had at my old place. Don't have many here as lockdown happened before I could get any. I am looking forward to eventually being able to get some finances allowing!

    I love all your cacti in your green house. I wish I had some shelving in mine - again never got a chance to before lockdown, but I didn't think about putting cacti in there, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelving came from IKEA each under £10, really cheap but perfect.

      Delete
  3. I love pots but I stopped buying them a few years back. My elderly brother looks after my garden when we holiday and it was getting too much for him to water. As they broke I didn't replace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the newer plastic pots, most of my pots are years old, our winters her in South are mild, so the pots last for years.

      Delete
  4. A gardener can never have too many plant pots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you certainly do like your pots … they look good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails