Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 4 November 2019

November garden

The garden now closing down for winter, 
I love the colours on the leaves on my blueberry bush. 
 This back section is full of berries for the birds, it's looking good, this small bed is shrubs, I try not to do much here, it looks after itself. Just the front corner is bare, I am looking for ground cover plants which will live in heavy clay, so far everything I have put in here has not survived. 
 Roses in November, nothing surprises me in the garden anymore, after the rain these are not so bright, I won't cut them and bring them inside. You can just see the Salvia, hotlips, their red tips planted around the rose. 
 This Dahlia has been brilliant this year,  the worm juice I feed it is working well. The new fence is protecting this bed, my metal birds along the shelf, are all now stored in my shed, they will return in the spring. 
Saturday the weather was horrible, wet and windy all day, we did not go out, hubby watched the rugby final, he is not a fan of the style of play from the South African team and did not enjoy the match. I sat and did some knitting, most of the time with Grace on my lap. The other fence has taken another battering, I'm amazed it is still standing, but her cats can't get through so we will leave it as long as we can. Grace is a very timid cat, and our garden is her safe place, we have never seen her leave the back garden, so I am keen to ensure we stop other cats getting in. We picked up huge amounts of leaves, I don't have any room to make leaf compost, so they all went into the council garden waste bag. These photo's were taken after our tidy up, hubby purchased a leaf sucker which is brilliant in the garden, neither of us like to see leaves on the ground.
Sunday, hubby went out on his motorbike with friends, it's probably the last ride out this year, they only ride on dry days. It was bright in the morning, after the storms of Saturday. I did house work and then craft. I am knitting like mad, I want to finish both shawls, and finish these socks. I also weaved in all the ends on the cotton blanket I made for George, it's not a task I enjoy doing, but it's now neat and safe for a baby.
It's firework time again, we have heard them most evenings this week, both nights they were very loud, Grace spent the both evenings on my lap, I have moved the cat beds to behind the sofa, both cats feel safe there, they will be there for over a week until the fireworks stop, Purdy will watch the fireworks through the patio door if they are not too noisy.
Today is Will's day, I am not sure if mummy will spend the day with us, she only has a few weeks to go before George arrives, she knows her date, but is only telling immediately family, unfortunately she is not allowed a natural birth.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your garden still has some colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour of the blueberry leaves at this time of year, though my bushes have all but dropped theirs now. Poor Archie is a nervous wreck at this time of year with the fireworks, he's not as bad as he used to be as he's going a bit deaf now, but he used to be a bag of nerves. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one day a year but they start in October and seem to go on for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks all tidy. If you don't like to see the leaves I don't think you would like our garden at the moment, lol. This time of year is a constant battle with the leaves and all this rain makes it hard to get time to get rid. We do have a large compost bin but it's still not big enough to take all the leaves. It was horrible here on Saturday too, think you had the best idea to say in and knit. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking stunning still! Wet here today, though not as cold as it's been. Lots of fireworks going off all around here; they have been for the past week and will be for at least another week. It's very unfair on our pets. Ginger was terrified, but luckily Ranger doesn't seem bothered by them. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of your dahlia. We have fireworks going off here as well. Sales are limited to a few days prior to Guy Fawkes but people often buy them and save them for New Year celebrations, so the poor cats never know when someone will be letting them off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up on blog reading! The hand dyed yarn you bought is stunning! I've never bought hand dyed before, but I shall look at Burrow & Soar. Well done on getting all your garden ready for winter. I've still got loads to to, but rain has been so persistent, it's like a quagmire! I'm so glad your hands are healing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always say this, but your garden ALWAYS looks so lovely. Have you thought about vinca for the front of your bed? Great for all sorts of insects and bugs, evergreen, and I think will be OK in clay soil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is still showing some nice colour.
    We've had so much rain haven't we … when I do go out I try and miss the rather heavy showers, but it's not always possible.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails