Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday, 9 August 2026

Still life

 Finally some flowers on my runner beans, I don't think I will get much of a crop, it would be nice to have at least one meal from them, only half the plants survived.


My tomatoes are finally turning red, not a great year for them, we have a few more cucumbers growing as well, both in the same bed. 


My grapevine is loving this spot, it has put on loads more growth, the raspberries on the other side are doing well, not as high as last year.  I plan to grow french beans in this space next year are they help the soil conditions for the vine.


These pelargoniums, which I still think as geraniums, whatever you call them have loved this summer, they require very little water and will thrive in poor soil conditions, all I do is remove the dead flower stalks,


As the summer progresses it's now begonia time, I love these blooms, often choosing the trailing ones for pots, the corm's stay in the pot all through the winter, as long as they don't get waterlogged they survive. 



It's a very different garden this year, so many of the flowers have finished early, it still looks good just more green than other years, I have left many of the dropped leaves around the place, they won't do any harm.

I have started a messy log pile behind our huge pot with the Olive tree in on our patio, we still regularly see our hedgehog, so I am trying to give him space nearer the house if he want's it, hubby is looking to build a house as well, I have a messy corner behind our garage and by the side of the greenhouse, both at the bottom of the garden.

I have to dig out one of my mulch dustbins in the coming days, I will add it to the veg beds, this week we are having our Magnolia cut back, the new growth is far too much this year, hubby will shred the soft wood and huge leaves, which will break down for next years mulch, normally we would do this task ourselves, in this heat it's better to watch the experts do the work.

I've had a quiet few days, housework has been done, the wooden floors get so very dusty, the spare bedroom is clean and tidy again, I have been dead heading in the garden and watering, mainly the fruit and veg section. Mostly I have been reading inside, hiding from the sun, George loves the garden so for 3 days I sat outside, I really would love a wet day, cool air, it's been cloudy most mornings and very muggy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails