Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 18 April 2024

Repurpose

 I have spend loads of money finishing off our new layout garden getting the veg section sorted,  normally when in the garden I do like to reuse bits, I also save stuff, just in case. I have had some small black fencing left over from around my butlers sink with my grasses in, having stored these for ages, I am now using here in the front of this rhubarb bed.

I had these bigger loops in the bed, I purchased them for the back of my now rhubarb bed 3 years ago and then used them in my tall raised bed, I then put them in the front of my rhubarb bed, but they did not look right, too tall. Sunday I used hubby's hacksaw and cut off the loops, I can now use these as cloche frames, I was going to purchase some to make a run, I already have netting or fleece, these are the perfect height to protect my seedlings and will make a nice run.

I love lights in the garden, neither of these lamps were cheap, both are years old and I've had good service from them, but the solar tops have gone, rather than purchase new lamps, I have got these smaller ones and popped them inside a very cheap way to prolong the lives of the lamps. 

I have the underside of our old outside round table as half hoops, the chains holding up the nets are from cheap hanging baskets, the baskets I cut the outer ring off and use them upside down to protect my young plants, purchased from B&Q years ago, again much cheaper than cloches.


All my raised beds were made from our decking planks, which only had been down a few years, hubby used wood from the frame to join every bit together, he even reused the screws. he made more into raised beds for our neighbours, the rest of the planks are beside my greenhouse, just in case.

My ponds were made reusing containers and pebbles I already had, sadly I did waste money on a pond liner, which did not work. I am always looking at what I have, as much as I can spend loads in the garden, I do love a bargain or a recycle and as I have said, I throw very little away. 

The one main thing I now do is when purchasing new I buy quality, for years I got cheap obelisks, which maybe lasted 2 years, this time we paid much more for ours and they are solid and will last years. I tried to save money going for a bargain, but it's not cheap over time. 

My biggest savings is to purchase off Facebook market place, I have had many bargains over the years, I prefer second hand bits to new stuff outside. I got most of my clay pots from one person who was clearing their grans greenhouse, I also love old chimneys, which I reuse as planters.

What's you best garden recycle. 

12 comments:

  1. Having had an allotment, I've learnt never to throw anything away, most things can be reused. We even had an old bath on our plot and I used it as extra space in which to grow carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's lovely reusing things that you already own for another purpose in the garden, or buying things secondhand and saving them from landfill, we do it often. I'm really pleased with the pre-used bistro table we bought for £10 from the garden centre the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Buy cheap, buy twice' is the cry in our household and it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly for many years cheap was all we could afford.

      Delete
  4. Where do I begin? Tractor tyres for planters, old baths for raised beds, heating oil and ibc tanks for raised beds, old decking for raised beds frames, a Belfast sink, fish boxes. I have seen people use supermarket trolleys to dry onions and an allotment polytunnel made out of plastic water pipes and builders plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for the space you have, I would be happy as can be, sadly hubby would hate it, so I use my space as best I can.

      Delete
  5. I've heard many friends say that Facebook market place can be an excellent place to get bargains.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great repurposing ideas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so resourceful Marlene, I love to reuse things, much to OH's frustration at times as he'd love to throw things out. I'm getting better at letting some things go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners World gave similar advice. Make do or repurpose. You've done well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last shed that we had became short fencing along both sides of the garden when it was dismantled. Every piece was used and lasted for quite a few more years befor being replaced again. It is good to reuse stuff where possible.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails