Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 24 December 2020

Merry Christmas

This is the oldest book I own, it was given to me by our local church, in my childhood they gave every child in the village a gift on Christmas eve. Growing up in a big family almost everything was passed on to a younger sibling, but this book I kept, at 11 years old I already had a huge love of reading.  
It says received in 1966, 
further down this back page I have written my name and address. 



Sadly one of my daughters added more colours to this page
This book is very fragile, after all it's 54 years old, I still love ladybird books, for so many people they were the knowledge books of our childhood.

I feel Christmas this year is fragile, nothing is normal, families are apart, I feel horrible my brother is not here with us, he will have lunch with our sister, but he will be alone Christmas eve and day nights. 

This battle is not like any other, we can't see our foe, our love ones could be carrying a virus which could pass us by, make us really ill, or, well lets not think of that. So this year we are in small groups, sadly loads will be on their own, not able to travel from there tiers to loved ones homes. On boxing day we raise to tier 4, we need nothing and will not leave our house, can things get any worse. 

I hope you find peace in the Christmas season, you and your families are well, in all this doom and gloom please look because there are happy moments, conceptions, births, marriages and birthdays, some we will miss this year but there will come a time when we can all touch and cuddle each other, sadly just not this Christmas.  

11 comments:

  1. It's a very different Christmas this year for many. Wishing you and yours a happy and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a very special book.The much older and more traditional version than I have on my Advent Photos post. The new version had much less writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is such a difficult time for families, but nice your brother will have dinner with your sister.. probably like my son when I said he'd be alone for Christmas eve and night, he said 'Mum I'm 54 I'll cope!' Happy and Blessed Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes.A very different Xmas this year.Numbers here in North Wales are soaring.We thought it was bad earlier in the year but it is much,much worse now.We shall have a short drive tomorrow and get some sea air and then that will be it.No going anywhere risky.
    Have as good a Xmas as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely book I love ladybird books and so did my kids we had a huge collection when they were growing up. Christmas will be different but at least we have a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you have a safe and peaceful Christmas and all the very best for 2021. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and your family can have a good Christmas despite the difference in circumstances this year. There was talk of us moving into tier 4 but we remain in tier 3 for now, lets all keep our fingers crossed that next year will see the turning point we have been waiting for.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely story of something treasured. Have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful vintage book(though the clown is a bit scary 😱). I hope you have had a peaceful Christmas, it certainly was a different one this year.
    I found you whilst blog hopping, be lovely to see you at mine at emeraldcottage.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a lovely gesture for the church to give a gift to each child. Your book is something to treasure. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure to have a book from your childhood, Marlene. It must be lovely to look through the pages from time to time. I hope you found joy in your Christmas despite the challenges.

    I'm sounds like you are well prepared and wise in relation to restrictions. Staying safe and well is the highest priority now. Take care. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your book is very special.

    Sending my good wishes and hoping that we will all have a better 2021.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails