Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 1 December 2020

Blue Christmas

I have done the marzipan layer on daughters cake, our cake had another drink of brandy, as usual I used the best brandy for the cake, poor hubby shakes his head every year, but he does love my Christmas cake.
Another great book, this being my 73rd book read this year, as always with this author, I loved this story line, it was very different, an interesting look on how we can change if things around us change. 
It's very comfortable to have old friends out this season, George loves Rudolf and has chewed his ear, I have loads of these handmade by me cushions of all sizes. 
My Lidi Amaryllis is growing well, but only leaves, last years bulb has only produced leaves this year, my expensive bulb is simply not growing, probably won't have any flowers this season. 
We had Will and George on Sunday for an hour, mummy had a hospital appointment and daddy was unwell in bed, so we took care of the boys, Will loved our Christmas tree, but spend most of the time in the garage with Grancha, boys like to stick together. It was unexpected to see the boys, but I will never see any of our families struggle with childcare. 

My computer is fixed, not cheap, but he retrieved all my data, which I am very pleased with, I have backed up a couple of things, one being my stash list, which I started in 2015.

I don't have much Christmas spirt, to be honest I am struggling, I know I'm not alone, I think this festive season is going to be hard, with the announcement of so many retail shops, within just 2 groups to be in administration, with the huge number of people who already have lost their jobs, so many people facing a bleak future, most of our companies survive each year on a good Christmas season, which is gone before it could start,  how can it be a merry time. I am also worried about a personal issue, one which will effect every bit of our lives but one I can't control, it mad to be worried, but it's how I am, December has not had a good start. 

10 comments:

  1. That's such a shame about your amaryllis but don't give up hope yet, the expensive one might burst into growth yet and the Lidl one may throw up a flower spike. I'm sorry you have worries about a personal issue, I'm a terrible worrier, I worry about things which are non existent even, so I know what an awful feeling it is. People often say that there's no point in worrying about things you can't control but it's not something you can help doing, if you're a worrier you're a worrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read you have worries about personal issues. It's been a dreadful year and I'm a worrier too and have an idea how you must be feeling. Your Christmas cakes look delicious, I'd love to see them when they are iced and finished, shop bought for us again this year I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a worrier too, like Jo I worry over things that dont exist, it's just the way I am and this situation we are in is not making it any better. So sorry you are having even more added to you plate to worry over. I still havent bought an amaryllis, they had only got red at the garden centre and I didnt fancy that. Our Aldi havent had any yet. Take car

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to read you have worries about personal issues.

    On a positive note, I think your cake is going to be delicious.
    I enjoyed opening our advent calendar this morning :)
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandy makes Christmas cake super-special so I can see why your hubby loves it :)
    I hope your personal issues resolve themselves quickly and satisfactorily. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is still a bit of time for your amaryllis to bloom I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    I bet your fruit cake will taste lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that you've got some worries. It's very hard not to worry about the future right now. I think we are all wondering what the consequences of this disastrous year are going to be. I hope you still manage to enjoy the build up to festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you a hug from across the Atlantic. I hope very much that whatever you are worried about turns out to be not as bad as your fear, it's hard not to worry though. My copy of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye arrived and it is very good, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Christmas cake looks delicious and I'm sure hubby will enjoy it.. yes the situation we find ourselves in makes it difficult to look forward to Christmas..Hope you'll feel more Christmassy as we near the 'DAY'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Marlene. I am catching up with your blog and your news. That xmas cake looks delicious! A slice of all that fruit and spice and icing and tradition will be, in itself, something lovely to look forward to enjoying on Xmas Day. I hope you will think of the love and time and thought that you put in to your xmas preparations, like your baking and crafting, as a gift to your family during a time that has caused so much hardship and worry. Take care. MegXx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails