Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 9 August 2020

Bottom view

The back of our garden is my working area, the raised section was already done, hubby offered to dig it out when we moved in, but I decided to leave it as it was, the extra height makes it perfect for my greenhouse. All the planting I have added as I have said before the previous owners did not like gardening, the Magnolia tree was the only thing in the garden when we moved in. 
The garage door has always been blocked off, so I have this flat section by the steps, I have popped my succulent glass jar here for now, it's in part shade in the day, so not too hot. I do love my tall old chimney pot here and the baskets of pebbles.
I did some work in this area, adding more grit to the top of the big Acer pot, I love the look here, I have a few pebbles and a black iron candle holder, which looks like a tea room. It's not something many people notice, but I know it's there and it finishes the Oriental look. 
I have redone this sink, I have moved 2 Heuchera plants elsewhere in the garden, planted in the front they had become too huge for this spot. the variegated grass was lost at the back, again it was a case of wrongly planted spot for a small grass. I last planted this sink back in June 2019, seen here, I split my Japanese blood red grass from kirt, and the black grass from in front of my greenhouse. I have used the last of the mixed stones from my old raised bed. I also split the bright green grass, another plant for my sister. 
2 tomato plants, always place them in front of the greenhouse, they catch loads of sun to ripening them, we already have harvest loads. . 
My shed is tucked behind the garage, before this was a wasted space, I love having my gardening storage space so close to my greenhouse. I have trained my cultivated blackberries on an arch, I keep loads of pots in this area, my hosta's love the shade. 
This corner for a while was scruffy, now I have a few pots and it looks better, the back fence has a jasmine growing up it for extra colour.  My Acers are new this year, I have them here, I can see them from the garden, I just need to decide if I will keep them all together or separate them into 2 pots, but until I decide here is a good spot. 
The greenhouse is in a perfect spot, in full sun most of the day, higher than the rest of the garden, and full of lovely plants, cutting and seedlings. I have had my tower pots here outside the greenhouse for years and the Ivy beside it.
I have planted a small white daisy in this pot, I had loads of ideas, even thinking I could make a small water feature, but in the end planting won out, this daisy was in my side bed and not doing to well, so I hope, soon this pot will be full of flowers.
Every garden needs a working area, and I have slowly over the years changed mine to look nicer, I am making full use of every bit of space. Whilst the tomato plants are growing, the garden waste bag sits in front of my shed door, it can't be seen from the seating area, I would like a composter, there is just one spot but it would mean digging out the raised bed, twisting it around, cutting it smaller and refilling, but the top of the composer would be seen from the garden and it would be next to the fence and I already have issues with weeds coming through from next door. 

This year has been a perfect year for gardens, we all have had more time at home, and our summer has flipped from hot and sunny to wet, allowing all the plants to have great growing conditions. We have enjoyed a lovely few days mostly out of the sunshine, my cold is much better, I do love long relaxing days like these. 

I hope you enjoyed the close views from my working area. 

12 comments:

  1. I haven't had one ripe tomato off my plants yet, the weather up north has been much cooler and not so many sunny days as you've had down south and it does make a difference to the plants. Saying that, my tomato plants in general aren't doing so well as they usually do but that's the thing with gardening, some years are much better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had very much rain on the Essex coast and its stressing the plants. Tap water is not the same as rain water from the butt. Your garden is beautiful and a credit to your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking splendid, mine is in a state of flux due to the tunnel. It was planned ages ago so many things are growing in pots to enable us to move them around. I look forward to losing most of them next year, thay take an age to water in dry spells. I do keep my milk containers full of rainwater tucked out of sight behind the pots but it a long job refilling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking very good.
    I do like your Acer.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Acer over 10 years ago, from Wilkinson's in the sale in September, it had no leaves and looked half dead, best 99p I have ever spent, it was tiny.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is wonderful. All those interesting pots and what they contain.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did say I would get rid of pots, but I have increased there numbers, I love to be able to give plants the perfect conditions to grow, and I do love quirky.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is such an inspiration to me - neat and tidy but still quirky with lots of interest, all while remaining a practical yet relaxing space. Garden goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such lovely comments, our garden is not the one we planed when we first moved in, it has been fluid, some things just did not work, but where we are pleases us and we have loads of time to enjoy our work.

      Delete
  7. I love hearing about your garden, there’s always something different going on. I have an Acer in a pot, but think it really could now do with being in a bigger pot. We’ve had very little rain in the south west and it has been very localised when we have had it. My area has missed out a bit, so with the water butt dry, we’re having to use the hose each night to water the veggies etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is always so beautiful, I wish I took the time to make mine beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails