Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 30 August 2020

Late August garden

I love these 2 chimney pots, they are in the garden in front of the greenhouse, I swapped the right hand side one earlier this year, both now have begonia's flowering, it's a colourful use of these tall pots. I have also popped in some cyclamen for the cooler months once the begonia's die back.  
My clematis by our side door is in flower again, the plant dies back every year and the flowers only bloom at the top of the plant, so the base always looks bare. I do have a pot close to the base with my eucalyptus in. 
This bed created last year by our back door is again looking great, these begonia's are bedding plants and should have died last winter, but they are huge. I did plant a couple of coleus behind, they are still there but have not grown much. The geranium in the middle I cut back this spring, once the colder weather comes I have a cover for it.  
Storm Francis, did little damage in the garden, I did move the pots off the tables and we moved the olive trees along side the garage to shield from the wind. The old fence post nearer the house has been damaged, these fence panels have been here for over 11 years (our time in the house), so this winter I expect them to break. 
Rest of the garden is still looking good. 
 George had his 1st hair cut, daughter took him to the barbers in our village, he did Will's 1st haircut, she always uses him, he is so kind and gental with the boys. Will loves the man and always waves to him when we walk by. It's not the best cut but George wriggled all the way through. 
We spent time in the garden this week, just cutting back, picking soft fruit and tomatoes, on Saturday afternoon we had a small BBQ, it was SIL birthday, so he came with daughter, Will and George, plus his parents, my brother was here, we stayed outside as the sun shone, and kept distance from adults. It was great to have a normal gathering, just 7 adults, all of us have not been out much all of us feeling well. I keep saying normal life, simple things are the best, and they are, it was nice to keep our BBQ small, no friends or neighbours. 

I have done a bit of crafting, but most nights I have been tired, I did more to the second sock, but started making mistakes, so I packed it away. August is crochet Granny Square month? So it seamed a good point to start another blanket, I have a few large balls of Debbie Bliss 4ply cakes, which I got for my loom, I will crib them all into a bigger blanket, something simple in my hands at night. 

My brother is driving home today, hubby is out on his motorbike with mates, so I am going to get the sewing machine out, a nice day on my own, well both cats are curled up asleep, I can hear Purdy snoring. 

4 comments:

  1. LOL one of our cats snores as well, such a funny sound.
    Glad your BBQ went well, it sounded like a nice gathering.
    Stay safe :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ground shakes when Archie snores, honestly, he's so loud. It's late in the season and many plants have finished flowering now but your garden is still looking so good, a lovely setting for your barbecue, glad it all went well. How cute does George look after his first haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking absolutely gorgeous and I love your big patio area. Glad you had a smashing get together with the family. Its something we've all missed do much isn't it.
    George is so cute with his haircut 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking lovely. That’s a stage in growing up the first haircut. It’s good to find a hairdresser who is good with children.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails